NETHERLANDS: New Wool Denim fabric to make its debut
A new Wool Denim has been developed that uses the same warp yarn as traditional denim, but replaces some, or all, of the weft yarns with machine-washable wool to deliver a high-performance fabric.
According to The Woolmark Company, which has developed the material, previous attempts to create wool/cotton blends in denim have used an intimate blend of wool with cotton - two fibres which are not easy to combine in a yarn.
Yet by replacing some, or all, of the weft yarns with wool, it says a higher performance and more cost effective fabric can be produced.
"By incorporating some wool with the cotton, Wool Denim jeans feel warm to the touch, even in winter, and when wet feel drier on the skin and more comfortable than 100% cotton," explains The Woolmark Company managing director Stuart McCullough.
He adds that the group "has worked closely with the manufacturing industry to develop new processes that can provide unique and casual effects on wool fabrics."
Wool has traditionally been used in formal products, and it is hoped that the new fabric will help the fibre regain some of its market share from cotton and take advantage of the trend towards a more casual way of dressing.
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details