UK: Next lifts profit forecast on strong Christmas sales
Next sales rose 11.9% over the Christmas trading period
Fashion retailer Next Plc has raised its profit forecast after a strong Christmas in which sales were "significantly ahead of expectations."
The company said total sales rose 11.9% in the period from 1 November to 24 December compared with the same period last year.
Gains of 7.7% were seen in its retail stores, while a 21% hike in sales was posted by its Directory business, which includes e-commerce.
The performance means Next is raising its forecast for full-year profits for the year to 25 January to be between GBP684m and GBP700m (US$1.13bn - US$1.15bn).
The retailer previously expected full-year profits of GBP650m to GBP680m, a year-on-year increase of 4.6%-9.4%.
Next said the step-up in Christmas trade was mainly due to improvements in its seasonal knitwear, nightwear and gift offers. It also said customers continued to shop with Next Directory right up to the weekend before Christmas.
But it cautioned: "It is therefore very unlikely that the strength shown in this quarter will continue through the first half of the new financial year, and of course this year's success will present difficult comparative numbers in the fourth quarter next year."
The company also warned that even though the economy looks set to continue to improve, little or no growth in real earnings means there is unlikely to be any significant increase in total consumer spending in the year ahead.
More than 200 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people in ...
Canadean's "Next plc : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key...
Next is one of the top high street retailers in Britain with over 500 retail outlets in the UK as of 2012. It provides a wide range of apparel and home products which are based at mid-market price poi...
Apparel Retail in United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profil...
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the global apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corporate so...
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- Pakistan textile mills fear rash of closures
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- Under Armour secures Germany and Austria deals
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- Bangladesh workers rally for unpaid wages
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020