CHINA: Nike Ad Banned For Insulting Chinese Culture
China has banned a TV commercial advertising sportswear giant Nike Inc's merchandise on the grounds that it is an insult to the Chinese identity.
The commercial, entitled 'Chamber of Fear,' showed US basketball star LeBron James fighting with an animated kung fu artist.
The State Administration for Radio, Film and Television said in a statement on its website that the commercial "violates regulations that mandate that all advertisements in China should uphold national dignity and interest and respect the motherland's culture."
It added that the advertisement broke regulations stating that commercials cannot contain images that blaspheme the national culture of the country, and that it had already "received an indignant response from Chinese viewers."
Companies: Nike Inc
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Textiles and clothing make up Thailand's largest manufacturing industry, with more than 4,500 factories employing over one million people. The sector accounts for approximately 20 per cent of total em...
The University of Colorado has agreed to extend its apparel agreement with sportswear giant Nike Inc by ten years....
Sportswear giant adidas has clinched a long-term partnership deal with tennis superstar Andre Agassi, who previously held a contract with archrival Nike....
Independent music label Dischord Records has forced sportswear giant Nike Inc to apologise for unlawfully using artwork from a punk-rock record cover in a promotional campaign for skateboarding appar...
Nike Inc, the world's biggest athletic-shoe maker, said fourth-quarter earnings rose 15 percent, encouraged by sales of high- priced Air Jordan and Shox sneakers....
Shoe chain Payless ShoeSource Inc has secured Matthew Rubel, a former executive of sportswear giant Nike Inc, as its new chief executive officer from July onwards....
Men's and women's apparel company Perry Ellis International Inc has named Al Derago senior vice president of the Nike swim division, effective today....
Sportswear giant Nike Inc has warned football club Manchester United that it may pull out of their £303 million sponsorship deal if the club doesn't improve its performance....
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report