USA: Nike And Blues Legend Diddley Settle Legal Claim
Nike (NYSE: NKE) and music legend Bo Diddley today jointly announced settlement of a legal claim initiated in March, which involved the production and sale of tee shirts bearing the likeness of Diddley. Although settlement details remain private, both parties expressed satisfaction with the terms of the agreement."Bo Diddley's fabulous performances in the "Bo knows" campaign will be forever etched in the annals of advertising history, " said Jim Carter, Nike General Counsel, US/Americas Regions. That is why we wanted to expeditiously settle this matter to restore our relationship to a level of mutual respect," he added."The courthouse is not the place for Nike and Bo Diddley," said Nike Founder and Chairman Philip H Knight. "Instead, we each should get back to doing what we both do best -- Bo making great music and Nike continuing to provide opportunities for youth, athletes and even blues musicians."Echoing these sentiments, Diddley said, "I've always enjoyed my relationship with Nike and am pleased that we were able to put this matter behind us."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- Outlook 2017 – Challenges and opportunities
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- JC Penney to roll out hundreds of Nike "shops"
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022