USA: Nike Asks Supreme Court To Quash California Ruling
The Oregon-based company said it will ask the nation’s highest court to "reaffirm the First Amendment right of businesses to discuss public issues".
In May, judges sitting at California’s Supreme Court ruled 4-3 in favour of activist Marc Kasky and said Nike's comments in defence of its labour practices were commercial and not protected by the right of free speech.
Nike said yesterday the Supreme Court will decide whether to hear the case in December or January and as a result of the earlier ruling it will not make public its annual corporate responsibility report, which reviews the company's labour compliance, community affairs and other issues.
It added: "The ... decision in this case ... will continue ... to substantially restrict the communication of important information regarding a uniquely valuable perspective on hotly debated social issues, and it will do so far beyond California's borders.
"The continuing prospect of liability under the Kasky holding casts a genuinely global pall over speech and will continue to cast that pall whatever happens on remand in this case ..."
Companies: Nike Inc
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Textiles and clothing make up Thailand's largest manufacturing industry, with more than 4,500 factories employing over one million people. The sector accounts for approximately 20 per cent of total em...
The University of Colorado has agreed to extend its apparel agreement with sportswear giant Nike Inc by ten years....
Sportswear giant adidas has clinched a long-term partnership deal with tennis superstar Andre Agassi, who previously held a contract with archrival Nike....
Independent music label Dischord Records has forced sportswear giant Nike Inc to apologise for unlawfully using artwork from a punk-rock record cover in a promotional campaign for skateboarding appar...
Nike Inc, the world's biggest athletic-shoe maker, said fourth-quarter earnings rose 15 percent, encouraged by sales of high- priced Air Jordan and Shox sneakers....
Shoe chain Payless ShoeSource Inc has secured Matthew Rubel, a former executive of sportswear giant Nike Inc, as its new chief executive officer from July onwards....
Men's and women's apparel company Perry Ellis International Inc has named Al Derago senior vice president of the Nike swim division, effective today....
Sportswear giant Nike Inc has warned football club Manchester United that it may pull out of their £303 million sponsorship deal if the club doesn't improve its performance....
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Primark challenges critics with cotton initiative
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- Vietnam apparel exports miss 2016 target
- Trump talks of tweaking NAFTA trade with Canada
- H&M leads Better Cotton league
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022