INDONESIA: Nike promises action on worker abuse reports
Nike has acknowledged that some Converse factories fail to meet its ethical standards
The reports concern alleged physical and verbal abuse levelled by supervisors at workers in the Pou Chen and PT Amara facilities near Jakarta, which between them employ about 10,000 workers, most of them women.
It is further reported that Nike itself acknowledged that nearly two-thirds of factories making products for Converse fail to meet the company’s own ethical standards.
In response, Nike said it and Converse had taken “decisive” action, implementing changes including direct interviews with workers, which led to the creation of action plans; engaging the Fair Labor Association to review and report; reviewing and reinforcing a confidential grievance process for workers; and implementing HR and cross-cultural training for ex-patriate supervisors and managers.
“As an affiliate of Nike, Converse takes matters of unfair labour practices very seriously and vigorously supports the protection of rights for the worker,” Nike said.
“Once notified about these issues within factories producing Converse product, immediate action was taken.
“Nike and Converse remain highly engaged with its factory partners so that the corrective actions are systemic and lasting.”
Established skills and tradition were not enough to save some apparel makers from layoffs and factory closures in 2011. But acquisitions, an environmental focus and international expansion helped othe...
Sportswear giant Nike today (12 January) told just-style it "commends" one of its Indonesian suppliers after it agreed to reimburse workers more than US$1m in unpaid overtime....
Hansae Vietnam Co Ltd, a subsidy of Korean apparel manufacturer Hansae, has begun construction of its third apparel plant in Vietnam at Tan Huong Industrial Zone in the southern province of Tien Giang...
Nike has announced plans to build a new head quarters in Shanghai to support its development in China....
Instead of our regular look at the top stories on just-style during the week, we thought a fitting end to the year would be to take a look at the top stories on just-style in 2011. What made the grade...
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Russia threatens ban on western apparel imports
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Opportunities and Applications for Digital Textile Printing
- Colombia - ISA Country Report