SOUTH AFRICA: Nike, Reebok, Caught In R1bn RAG Collapse
The proceedings have also been marred by allegations of underhanded dealings, with some creditors believed to be planning an investigation of the company under the Insolvency Act. Smaller creditors also fear their interests will be squeezed in preference to major groups.
More than 1500 employees represented by the Commercial Catering and Allied Workers Union have already applied for a court order to have their liquidator's appointment switched from Retail Apparel Group to Retail Apparel (Pty) Ltd, which holds the group's assets, estimated at R1.18 billion.
Retail Apparel Group has already closed 50 stores countrywide, including Patrick Daniel and Smart Centre.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Textiles and clothing make up Thailand's largest manufacturing industry, with more than 4,500 factories employing over one million people. The sector accounts for approximately 20 per cent of total em...
Shoe chain Payless ShoeSource Inc has secured Matthew Rubel, a former executive of sportswear giant Nike Inc, as its new chief executive officer from July onwards....
Men's and women's apparel company Perry Ellis International Inc has named Al Derago senior vice president of the Nike swim division, effective today....
Spanish retail group Cortefiel SA has opened a new franchise of its men's clothing division in Kiev, Ukraine....
Sportswear giant Nike Inc has warned football club Manchester United that it may pull out of their £303 million sponsorship deal if the club doesn't improve its performance....
Sportswear company Reebok International Ltd has posted a higher quarterly profit, encouraged by the acquisition of The Hockey Company as well as a weak US dollar....
Major sports brand Reebok says it plans to open another 60 stores in the Indian market and push its revenue there up to INR3.75 billion....
Spanish retailer Cortefiel has topped forecasts with a 107 per cent increase in net profit for 2004 due to cheap Asian manufacturing and less markdowns pushing up margins....
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Kohl's, L Brands
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022