US: Nike tags new basketball shoe its lightest ever
US sporting goods firm Nike has unveiled the new Nike Zoom Kobe IV, described as its lightest basketball shoe ever, which will be launched in China from the start of next year.
It is being endorsed by NBA legend Kobe Bryant, with an unconventional new low cut design weighing 11.6 ounces.
"When I first asked for the lightest basketball shoe Nike has ever created, particularly a low top, you could have heard a pin drop in the room," said Bryant. "The shoe the Nike design team delivered raises the basketball footwear bar to the next level."
Designers used 'Flywire' thin and very strong nylon fibers to support the foot in the upper, 'LunarLite' cushioning foam in the forefoot, a Nike Zoom unit in the heel, and a full-length Phylon midsole.
The Nike Zoom Kobe IV will be available at retail in China from 1 January 2009, and the US, Canada and Europe from early February 2009.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Apparel companies who want to operate environmentally sustainable businesses should cut excess manufacturing by balancing supply with demand, and learn from their mistakes, according to new guidelines...
Top sports and fashion brands including Gucci, Adidas/Reebok, Timberland, Geox, Clarks and Nike, have been accused of contributing to the destruction of the Amazon rainforest by using leather from cat...
Apparel retail group Perry Ellis International recorded a 36% fall in first quarter profits to US$5.8m, but beat expectations despite a 9.7% revenue decline....
Global buy-out firm TPG Capital is investing CNY550m (US$80.2m) in women's footwear retailer Daphne International Holdings Limited to help it expand its Daphne and Shoebox stores in China....
Sporting goods giant Nike is to shed 5% of its 35,000-strong global workforce, following a structural review sparked by the current economic climate....
Here is a roundup of the top five most-read stories on just-style this week. Click on each headline for the full story....
Julie Rosen is returning to specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc as senior vice president of merchandising for Banana Republic....
President Barack Obama has nominated a leading Nike executive to the post of CEO of the Corporation for National and Community Service....
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Kohl's, L Brands
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022