FRANCE: Non-food lines push Carrefour Q4 sales up 10%
French retail giant Carrefour has posted a 10.2% jump in fourth quarter sales, helped by a growing contribution from non-food lines like apparel, and confirmed its guidance for a higher operating profit for 2007.
The world's second largest retailer, which has stores across the globe, said fourth-quarter sales rose to EUR25.6bn (US$37.7bn), with like-for-like sales up 4.2% to EUR25.6bn.
For fiscal 2007, sales rose 6.9% to EUR92.3bn, from EUR86.3bn in 2006, with like-for-like sales climbing 1.8% to EUR92.3bn.
In Carrefour's main French market - which accounts for 45% of the retailer's revenue - fourth quarter sales rose 4.0% to EUR11.4bn. Non-food sales were up 0.5% it said, adding that within this, overall apparel sales "were slightly down."
But it said the 25 stores that have been converted to the non-food model, selling general merchandise and consumer electronics, continued to outperform the chain average by 3% to 5%.
Sales in the rest of Europe rose 1.6% on a same-store basis with rising revenue in Spain offsetting falling sales in Italy and Belgium.
Carrefour's Latin American business weighed in with a 9.8% increase in sales, thanks to growth across Brazil, Argentina and Colombia.
In Asia, like-for-like sales rose 2.8%, with the fastest growth coming from China, were sales jumped 8%.
The company expects its sales to grow 6% to 8% in 2008 with operating profits rising faster than sales.
Supermarket group Carrefour is to re-brand its 1000-strong Champion store network in France to the Carrefour and Carrefour Market banners over the next two years, and develop apparel lines as part of ...
Carrefour, the world's second-largest retailer, has posted its second consecutive quarter of double digit sales growth, boosted by a strong performance in emerging markets....
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Software for financial planning and operations
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack