US: Nordstrom Q1 beats analyst expectations
- Q1 earnings drop 3.4% but beat expectations
- Gross margin down 120 bps
- Sales climb 6.8%
Upscale fashion retailer Nordstrom has reported first-quarter results that beat analyst expectations thanks to a comp store sales increase and tight expense management.
Earnings for the quarter ended 3 May, amounted to US$140m, or $0.72 per share, a drop of 3.4% on $145m a year earlier. The decline was due to technology investments and infrastructure costs related to the firm's upcoming entry into Canada.
Nonetheless, this was above Stifel analyst estimates of $0.04 per share.
Gross margin decreased 120 bps, in part due to increased markdowns in response to the heightened promotional environment.
Net sales, however, climbed 6.8% to $2.8bn, while comparable store sales increased 3.9%.
Stifel analyst Richard Jaffe said: "Nordstrom delivered a strong 1Q despite the challenging environment and inclement weather. More importantly, Nordstrom management reiterated their view of the future and its ongoing investments.
"Management has taken a long-term view, recognising that the retail world is changing rapidly and dramatically, and has adjusted its growth investments to be consistent with the changing environment."
Introduction Womenswear in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018)......
Introduction Menswear in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). ......
Functional textile specialist Sympatex Technologies is the latest company to join the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC), with plans to use the group's sustainability measurement tool, the Higg Index...
Apparel Retail in United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile...
Introduction The G8 Womenswear industry guide provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The guide also contains ...
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Esquel backs Chinese Sea Island cotton production
- US apparel import growth led by Bangladesh
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- Hanesbrands Q4 performance “disappoints”
- Eco-friendly garment factory opens in Bangladesh
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024