US: Nordstrom Q1 beats analyst expectations
- Q1 earnings drop 3.4% but beat expectations
- Gross margin down 120 bps
- Sales climb 6.8%
Upscale fashion retailer Nordstrom has reported first-quarter results that beat analyst expectations thanks to a comp store sales increase and tight expense management.
Earnings for the quarter ended 3 May, amounted to US$140m, or $0.72 per share, a drop of 3.4% on $145m a year earlier. The decline was due to technology investments and infrastructure costs related to the firm's upcoming entry into Canada.
Nonetheless, this was above Stifel analyst estimates of $0.04 per share.
Gross margin decreased 120 bps, in part due to increased markdowns in response to the heightened promotional environment.
Net sales, however, climbed 6.8% to $2.8bn, while comparable store sales increased 3.9%.
Stifel analyst Richard Jaffe said: "Nordstrom delivered a strong 1Q despite the challenging environment and inclement weather. More importantly, Nordstrom management reiterated their view of the future and its ongoing investments.
"Management has taken a long-term view, recognising that the retail world is changing rapidly and dramatically, and has adjusted its growth investments to be consistent with the changing environment."
Nordstrom, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offering...
Nordstrom, Inc. (JWN) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by Globa...
The deal by Men's Wearhouse to acquire US men's apparel and footwear business Jos A Bank Clothiers has been given the green light by The Federal Trade Commission (FTC)....
Lectra is joining forces with Spectraflow to offer a range of colour management solutions for fashion and apparel designers from conception to production....
Apparel, Accessories & Luxury Goods in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017...
- The current state of play in world garment exports
- Fung Capital helps PLM firm expand into Asia
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Diversification a key focus for Under Armour
- Adidas investigating Cambodia faintings
- Footwear “facing increased compliance challenges"
- Matalan defends its position on Bangladesh
- Arrests made at US REI/North Face protests
- North Face commits to 100% recycled polyester
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report