US: Nordstrom Q1 beats analyst expectations
- Q1 earnings drop 3.4% but beat expectations
- Gross margin down 120 bps
- Sales climb 6.8%
Upscale fashion retailer Nordstrom has reported first-quarter results that beat analyst expectations thanks to a comp store sales increase and tight expense management.
Earnings for the quarter ended 3 May, amounted to US$140m, or $0.72 per share, a drop of 3.4% on $145m a year earlier. The decline was due to technology investments and infrastructure costs related to the firm's upcoming entry into Canada.
Nonetheless, this was above Stifel analyst estimates of $0.04 per share.
Gross margin decreased 120 bps, in part due to increased markdowns in response to the heightened promotional environment.
Net sales, however, climbed 6.8% to $2.8bn, while comparable store sales increased 3.9%.
Stifel analyst Richard Jaffe said: "Nordstrom delivered a strong 1Q despite the challenging environment and inclement weather. More importantly, Nordstrom management reiterated their view of the future and its ongoing investments.
"Management has taken a long-term view, recognising that the retail world is changing rapidly and dramatically, and has adjusted its growth investments to be consistent with the changing environment."
Nordstrom, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offering...
Introduction Womenswear in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018)......
Introduction Menswear in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). ......
Apparel Retail in United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile...
- 2014: Year in review - Sourcing winners and losers
- 2014: Year in review - Brand winners and losers
- 2014: Year in review - Retail winners and losers
- Bangladesh: Raising the bar on apparel exports?
- Bangladesh: The business benefits of compliance
- Report urges overhaul of Cambodia factory safety
- Bangladesh factory improvements “will take years”
- Bangladesh knitting worker killed by faulty lift
- North Face debuts locally-grown "backyard" hoodie
- Tommy Hilfiger launches solar-powered jacket