US: Nordstrom Q1 beats analyst expectations
- Q1 earnings drop 3.4% but beat expectations
- Gross margin down 120 bps
- Sales climb 6.8%
Upscale fashion retailer Nordstrom has reported first-quarter results that beat analyst expectations thanks to a comp store sales increase and tight expense management.
Earnings for the quarter ended 3 May, amounted to US$140m, or $0.72 per share, a drop of 3.4% on $145m a year earlier. The decline was due to technology investments and infrastructure costs related to the firm's upcoming entry into Canada.
Nonetheless, this was above Stifel analyst estimates of $0.04 per share.
Gross margin decreased 120 bps, in part due to increased markdowns in response to the heightened promotional environment.
Net sales, however, climbed 6.8% to $2.8bn, while comparable store sales increased 3.9%.
Stifel analyst Richard Jaffe said: "Nordstrom delivered a strong 1Q despite the challenging environment and inclement weather. More importantly, Nordstrom management reiterated their view of the future and its ongoing investments.
"Management has taken a long-term view, recognising that the retail world is changing rapidly and dramatically, and has adjusted its growth investments to be consistent with the changing environment."
Nordstrom, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offering...
Nordstrom, Inc. (Nordstrom) is a specialty fashion retail company that offers a broad range of fashion apparels, shoes, cosmetics, accessories, among others. The company offers a wide selection of bra...
Introduction Womenswear in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018)......
Phoenix Footwear Group has booked a 71.6% jump in third-quarter net profit, thanks to higher sales....
Introduction Menswear in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). ......
- Expensive US dollar hitting H&M sourcing costs
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- Apparel industry gains traction says IAF chief
- Performance apparel set for continued growth
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- Sears Holdings cuts 115 corporate jobs
- H&M Q4 mixed but plans 400 new stores
- UK clothing sales see strongest rise in two years
- Companies continue to call for US trade commitment
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead