US: Nordstrom Q4 earnings tumble 5.6%
- Q4 net profit down 5.6%
- Net sales remain flat
- FY EPS guidance of $3.75-$3.90
Upscale fashion retailer Nordstrom has booked a drop in fourth-quarter earnings and guided for full-year profit below analyst expectations.
Earnings dropped 5.6% to US$268m in the three months ended 1 February, from $284m in the year ago period. The retailer increased markdowns in response to heightened promotional activity during the quarter and experienced higher occupancy costs related to expansion of its Rack stores.
Net sales remained flat at $3.6bn, while same-store sales were up 2.6% compared with last year's increase of 6.3%.
Nordstrom same-store sales, which consist of the full-line and direct businesses, increased 2.2% versus last year's 6.1% increase.
Despite the earnings decline and flat sales, RBC Capital Markets analyst Howard Tubin said it was a "standout performance" in the currently difficult retail environment.
"The positive comp was driven by strength at Rack and DTC. While these divisions drive an outsized portion of the company's investment spending, the investments appear to be paying off."
Nordstrom has guided profit per share for the full year to be in the range of $3.75 to $3.90. This comes in below the average of 28 analysts' estimates compiled by Bloomberg, of $4.07.
The company said it expects its planned entry into Canada to continue to be dilutive to earnings in its new fiscal, primarily due to ongoing infrastructure investments and pre-opening costs.
Introduction Menswear in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). ......
Apparel Retail in United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile...
Inspection, testing and certification company SCS Global Services (SCS) has joined the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC), and will promote its Higg Index sustainability measurement tool to help driv...
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)