US: Nordstrom Q4 earnings tumble 5.6%
- Q4 net profit down 5.6%
- Net sales remain flat
- FY EPS guidance of $3.75-$3.90
Upscale fashion retailer Nordstrom has booked a drop in fourth-quarter earnings and guided for full-year profit below analyst expectations.
Earnings dropped 5.6% to US$268m in the three months ended 1 February, from $284m in the year ago period. The retailer increased markdowns in response to heightened promotional activity during the quarter and experienced higher occupancy costs related to expansion of its Rack stores.
Net sales remained flat at $3.6bn, while same-store sales were up 2.6% compared with last year's increase of 6.3%.
Nordstrom same-store sales, which consist of the full-line and direct businesses, increased 2.2% versus last year's 6.1% increase.
Despite the earnings decline and flat sales, RBC Capital Markets analyst Howard Tubin said it was a "standout performance" in the currently difficult retail environment.
"The positive comp was driven by strength at Rack and DTC. While these divisions drive an outsized portion of the company's investment spending, the investments appear to be paying off."
Nordstrom has guided profit per share for the full year to be in the range of $3.75 to $3.90. This comes in below the average of 28 analysts' estimates compiled by Bloomberg, of $4.07.
The company said it expects its planned entry into Canada to continue to be dilutive to earnings in its new fiscal, primarily due to ongoing infrastructure investments and pre-opening costs.
Nordstrom, Inc. (Nordstrom) is a specialty fashion retail company that offers a broad range of fashion apparels, shoes, cosmetics, accessories, among others. The company offers a wide selection of bra...
Introduction Womenswear in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018)......
Introduction Menswear in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). ......
Apparel Retail in United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile...
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- New fibre and fabric innovations for outdoor wear
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- US West Coast port contract reached
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide