US: Nordstrom Q4 earnings tumble 5.6%
- Q4 net profit down 5.6%
- Net sales remain flat
- FY EPS guidance of $3.75-$3.90
Upscale fashion retailer Nordstrom has booked a drop in fourth-quarter earnings and guided for full-year profit below analyst expectations.
Earnings dropped 5.6% to US$268m in the three months ended 1 February, from $284m in the year ago period. The retailer increased markdowns in response to heightened promotional activity during the quarter and experienced higher occupancy costs related to expansion of its Rack stores.
Net sales remained flat at $3.6bn, while same-store sales were up 2.6% compared with last year's increase of 6.3%.
Nordstrom same-store sales, which consist of the full-line and direct businesses, increased 2.2% versus last year's 6.1% increase.
Despite the earnings decline and flat sales, RBC Capital Markets analyst Howard Tubin said it was a "standout performance" in the currently difficult retail environment.
"The positive comp was driven by strength at Rack and DTC. While these divisions drive an outsized portion of the company's investment spending, the investments appear to be paying off."
Nordstrom has guided profit per share for the full year to be in the range of $3.75 to $3.90. This comes in below the average of 28 analysts' estimates compiled by Bloomberg, of $4.07.
The company said it expects its planned entry into Canada to continue to be dilutive to earnings in its new fiscal, primarily due to ongoing infrastructure investments and pre-opening costs.
Nordstrom, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offering...
Nordstrom, Inc. (JWN) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by Globa...
Apparel, Accessories & Luxury Goods in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017...
With a large population and high income per head, demand for apparel in the USA is huge -- amounting to nearly US$300 bn during 2012. This has facilitated sustained growth of a number of giant retaile...
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Ultrasonic execs disappear along with company cash
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details