US: Nordstrom raises FY outlook, Q2 profit down
- Q2 profit down 11%
- Net sales up 7.4%
- FY EPS guidance raised to $3.40-3.50
Upscale department store operator Nordstrom has raised its full-year profit guidance, despite posting a fall in second-quarter net income.
Earnings for the quarter ended 28 July dropped 11% to US$156m. Earnings before interest and income taxes slipped 9.4% to $290m.
The decline was due to its annual sale starting a week later in July, the company said, which pushed the event into the third-quarter. Its impact was combined with planned investments in e-commerce and technology.
Net sales increased 7.4% to $2.91bn. Same-store sales climbed 4.9% with women's shoes, handbags and cosmetics performing well, while full-line same-store sales edged up 1.1%.
Looking forward, Nordstrom expects full-year earnings per diluted share to be between $3.40 and $3.50, compared to its previous guidance of $3.30 to $3.45.
The company also intends to open 24 stores in 2013 and plans to have over 230 Rack stores by the end of 2016.
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' January 2013 sales results....
Retailers posted mixed December sales results as many were forced to discount heavily to drive sales in the weekend prior to Christmas, in the hope of making up for weaker sales earlier in the month....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' December 2012 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' November 2012 sales results....
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Nicaragua apparel and shoe firms to double in size
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- US Q2 in brief: G-III, Shoe Carnival, J Crew
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- PVH “well-positioned” in China despite headwinds
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020