US: Nordstrom to expand Rack discount concept
Upscale department store retailer Nordstrom Inc has revealed plans to double the number of discount Nordstrom Rack stores it operates to more than 230 over the next four years.
"At this time last year, our plan was to open roughly 15 Racks per year. Today, the plan is to double the number of Rack stores to more than 230 over the next four years, with roughly 24 openings in 2013 and more than 30 in 2014," said Blake Nordstrom, principal executive officer, president and director.
During 2012, total sales at Nordstrom Rack were up 20%, while same-store sales rose 7.4%. Sales productivity, including the 15 new stores, reached its highest level in recent years at over $550 per sq ft, the company revealed.
The news comes after Nordstrom recorded a 20% jump in fourth-quarter profit - but warned that investments in e-commerce and expansion of its Nordstrom Rack stores would impact profit in the year ahead.
Net earnings reached US$284m from $236m the same period the year before, while sales rose 13.5% to $3.6bn, compared to $3.2bn the year before.
Unveiling a new five-year plan to improve worker safety at the factories in Bangladesh that produce their clothing, North American brands and retailers were keen to stress the similarities between the...
The group of leading retailers and brands who make up the North American Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety has named Ellen O'Kane Tauscher as the independent chair of its board of directors....
Despite posting a higher profit in its second quarter, upscale US fashion retailer Nordstrom Inc has lowered its full-year forecast on an expected drop in sales....
Footwear retailers must match their strengths to the purchasing priorities of their target customers if they want to engage them in the shopping process, according to new research....
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Combating the new normal – 10 trends for 2016
- Who has pledged to ban the use of angora?
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- Syrian refugee children found in Turkish factories
- China factory activity continues to deteriorate
- Key Bangladesh safety issues still not fixed
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024