USA: Nylstar Creates Bacteriostatic Fibre For Activewear Market
Textile yarn producer Nylstar has created the first bacteriostatic fibre in polyamide 6.6, a thread that is designed to preserve the skin's natural balance even during strenuous physical activity.Meryl Skinlife, which is based on polymer research from Rhodia, is to be produced and sold in a joint venture between Nylstar, Rhodia, and Snia.Bacteria is naturally found on human skin, but too much or too little can cause problems ranging from unpleasant odours to allergic reactions, or even illness. The new yarn will control the proliferation of bacteria, said Nylstar, but the bacteriostatic properties of the product will preserve the necessary amount of bacterial skin flora needed for the body's natural defences.The introduction of the bacteriostatic agent in the matrix of the polymer also makes Meryl Skinlife highly resistant to repeated washing, the company said.Meryl Skinlife has been produced specifically for active wear, socks and clothing used in fitness and active sports.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective