US: NYPD confiscates $4.5m worth of fakes - report
Police have seized counterfeit shoes and handbags with a street value of US$4.5m from a warehouse in New York, it has been reported.
The New York Police Department (NYPD) have confiscated 50,000 pairs of fake Nike sneakers and 40,000 counterfeit handbags, according to the Associated Press (AP). No arrests have been made following the recovery, branded the largest in the city's recent history, the report added.
The goods, which also included 5,000 items of fake clothes, are likely to have been sourced from China, AP reported.
It was reported in February, by The New York Times, that police had eliminated a group of counterfeit shops in the city's Canal Street area - shutting 32 shops in the Canal, Walker, Baxter and Centre Streets triangle.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Demand for fake fashion continues to grow at an alarming rate according to a new report from just-style, with captured shipments indicating that around 20% of all athletic merchandise is fake. Despite...
Last week, an unprecedented series of events in the US financial sector shook global markets, leaving retailers and brands anxious that already tough trading conditions could worsen still. Joe Ayling ...
Kris Aman, who spearheaded Nike's Beijing Olympics activities, has been appointed as the sports goods giant's new vice president and general manager of Men's Athletic Training....
Nike Japan, the Japanese subsidiary of sportswear multinational Nike, will turn a public park in central Tokyo, Miyashita Park, into what they call 'Nike Park' - courting much controversy when they an...
Sportswear giant Nike has posted first quarter profits of US$510.5m, down 10% on last year but still ahead of expectations on Wall Street....
Bauer Hockey has acquired rival Mission-itech Hockey in a deal which will lead to the closure of two facilities with the loss of about 140 jobs....
Gap Inc, the US' largest specialty clothing retailer, is to expand its customer base into a new retail sector after buying women's sports and active apparel company Athleta Inc for $150m in cash....
Sporting goods chain Sports Direct has increased its stake in rival UK retailer JD Sports, which today (23 September) posted a 54% increase in profits for the first half....
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022