US: NYPD confiscates $4.5m worth of fakes - report
Police have seized counterfeit shoes and handbags with a street value of US$4.5m from a warehouse in New York, it has been reported.
The New York Police Department (NYPD) have confiscated 50,000 pairs of fake Nike sneakers and 40,000 counterfeit handbags, according to the Associated Press (AP). No arrests have been made following the recovery, branded the largest in the city's recent history, the report added.
The goods, which also included 5,000 items of fake clothes, are likely to have been sourced from China, AP reported.
It was reported in February, by The New York Times, that police had eliminated a group of counterfeit shops in the city's Canal Street area - shutting 32 shops in the Canal, Walker, Baxter and Centre Streets triangle.
Demand for fake fashion continues to grow at an alarming rate according to a new report from just-style, with captured shipments indicating that around 20% of all athletic merchandise is fake. Despite...
Last week, an unprecedented series of events in the US financial sector shook global markets, leaving retailers and brands anxious that already tough trading conditions could worsen still. Joe Ayling ...
Kris Aman, who spearheaded Nike's Beijing Olympics activities, has been appointed as the sports goods giant's new vice president and general manager of Men's Athletic Training....
Nike Japan, the Japanese subsidiary of sportswear multinational Nike, will turn a public park in central Tokyo, Miyashita Park, into what they call 'Nike Park' - courting much controversy when they an...
Sportswear giant Nike has posted first quarter profits of US$510.5m, down 10% on last year but still ahead of expectations on Wall Street....
Bauer Hockey has acquired rival Mission-itech Hockey in a deal which will lead to the closure of two facilities with the loss of about 140 jobs....
Gap Inc, the US' largest specialty clothing retailer, is to expand its customer base into a new retail sector after buying women's sports and active apparel company Athleta Inc for $150m in cash....
Sporting goods chain Sports Direct has increased its stake in rival UK retailer JD Sports, which today (23 September) posted a 54% increase in profits for the first half....
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Modern Slavery Act boosts supply chain engagement
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020