UK: October sees worst retail sales in three years
UK retail sales values fell 2.2% on a like-for-like basis during October, the British Retail Consortium (BRC) said today (12 November).
This compares with the same month last year when like-for-like sales rose 1.0%.
Total sales were lower than a year ago for the first time since April 2005.
As in previous months, food and drink was the only sector to show sales significantly up on a year ago.
Clothing and footwear remained "poor and often discount-driven, despite colder and much wetter weather than last October", the BRC added.
It said that discounts and promotions continued but often "failed to tempt customers unless they perceived value or the purchases filled a need".
Non-food non-store sales in October were 16.6% higher than year ago, but online sales fell on the days after the banking crisis hit, as consumers were anxious about their financial outlook.
With recent research confirming that more and more shoppers are choosing to buy apparel online rather than on the high street, retailers and brand owners need to evolve their business models towards a...
Half of large retailers and over 40% of small and medium-sized firms say the reduction or withdrawal of trade credit insurance has undermined their ability to trade, according to new figures released ...
UK retail like-for-like sales fell 1.2% during March, despite a strong performance from the clothing and footwear sector....
The British Retail Consortium (BRC) says UK retailers are seeing out their toughest quarterly rents payments day for at least 18 years this week, and is urging landlords to show more flexibility on re...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- Mexico makers bullish on Trump's proposed tariffs
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack