CANADA: Olympians Opt For Revolutionary Shoe
The Sydney Olympics, due to start in just over five weeks, will be the launch pad for a revolutionary new shoe devised by Calgary University's Human Performance Laboratory.The construction of the shoes, which are said to improve performance by up to four per cent - the equivalent of a four minute gain for Canada's Olympic marathon runners - was based on special shock-absorbing technology.Research discovered that muscles tighten to lessen vibrations in surrounding leg tissue. A soft, shock absorbent sole was the best defence against such energy depletion, researchers discovered. However, they went even farther with the study and adjusted the shoe to each athlete's vibrational frequencies, which vary depending on training and build.Subjects were required to be strapped to a suspended bed that swung like a pendulum, causing their heels to hit the wall every two seconds. Their pain could lead to a definite gain though, according to Calgary University's Beno Nigg. "We think we will see some world records," he said.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- H&M CEO named sustainability leader
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020