CANADA: Olympians Opt For Revolutionary Shoe
The Sydney Olympics, due to start in just over five weeks, will be the launch pad for a revolutionary new shoe devised by Calgary University's Human Performance Laboratory.The construction of the shoes, which are said to improve performance by up to four per cent - the equivalent of a four minute gain for Canada's Olympic marathon runners - was based on special shock-absorbing technology.Research discovered that muscles tighten to lessen vibrations in surrounding leg tissue. A soft, shock absorbent sole was the best defence against such energy depletion, researchers discovered. However, they went even farther with the study and adjusted the shoe to each athlete's vibrational frequencies, which vary depending on training and build.Subjects were required to be strapped to a suspended bed that swung like a pendulum, causing their heels to hit the wall every two seconds. Their pain could lead to a definite gain though, according to Calgary University's Beno Nigg. "We think we will see some world records," he said.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Where next for Corporate Human Rights Benchmark?
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- World Bank commits $57bn to sub-Saharan Africa
- Target unveils "ambitious" store re-design plans
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective