Online boosts November UK clothing and footwear sales
Online sales of textiles, clothing and footwear grew 18.2%
UK clothing and footwear retail sales continued to grow in November, with those chains that have made improvements to their online channels seeing a return on their investments as online sales increased.
According to The Office for National Statistics (ONS), sales volumes at textile, clothing and footwear stores increased 3.5% year-on-year in the month to 28 November. In value terms, sales were up 2.5%, but average store prices for the category edged down 0.6% to GBP1bn (US$1.49bn).
Internet sales of textiles, clothing and footwear grew 18.2%, accounting for 13.5% of total sales made online.
Overall retail sales rose 5% in volume terms, marking the 31st consecutive month of year-on-year growth. In value terms, sales increased 1.4%. On a month-by month basis, sales volumes were up 1.7%, while the amount spent increased by 1.4%.
David McCorquodale, head of retail at KPMG, said the figures show retailers have "seen their hard work pay off", adding: "Although Black Friday 2015 landed with less of a bang, in terms of revenue, than last year, those retailers who invested heavily in their sales strategies, especially those who made improvements to their online channels, saw a return on their investments, with online sales up 12.7% year-on-year.
He added: "The challenge for the high street in December will be to recreate the hype of Black Friday's online sales – in-store. The key will be playing on the theatre of the Christmas shopping experience, that buzz of the festive foray, which will hopefully leave consumers' pockets jingling all the way to the tills."
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022