UK: Online clothing sales fall 2% in April
Online clothing sales in the UK fell by 2% during April, compared to the previous month, with the lingerie sector showing evidence of contracting.
Latest figures from the IMRG Capgemini e-Retail Sales Index showed that total online sales in the month grew by 14% compared to April 2008.
It also found UK shoppers are spending GBP10 more online per visit compared to a year ago despite the recession.
The research group said that the clothing sector's negative growth for the month of April was the first in the history of the Index.
A year on year increase of 17% was also below the average yearly growth for the clothing sector in the last 12 months. Lingerie sales fell 26% year-on-year, according to Capgemini.
Mike Petevinos, head of consulting for retail for Capgemini UK, said: "The e-retail industry continues to perform well during the recession with year on year growth at around 15% being achieved consistently over the last 10 months.
"We are also seeing growth in the average basket value with UK shoppers spending GBP10 more online per visit compared to a year ago. It is, however, clear that the online market is maturing, with seasonal fluctuations becoming more noticeable in certain sectors as they are no longer obscured by the 50% plus year on year growth rates of the past."
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- 3D CAD comes of age
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- US Q4 in brief – G-III Apparel, Finish Line
- Labour rights risk Bangladesh EU trade benefits?
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack