UK: Online clothing sales growth slows in January
Growth in the online clothing sector slowed to 9% last month
Online retail sales in the UK increased 18% year-on-year in January, despite a slowdown in growth for the clothing sector, according to new research.
The latest figures from the IMRG Capgemini e-Retail Sales Index found online sales performed better than expected, with total spend estimated at GBP8.1bn (US13.53bn) during the month.
Excluding travel, UK consumers spent an average of GBP78 online in January, up from GBP74 in the same period last year, and the GBP76 seen in December.
Growth in the online clothing sector, meanwhile, slowed to 9% year-on-year, but the average spend was up 6% on the same month last year.
IMRG chief information officer, Tina Spooner, said this may indicate retailers were discounting less following a strong performance over the festive period.
While Chris Webster, VP and head of retail consulting and technology at Capgemini, added: "As we settle in to a new year, with the shopping bonanza that was Christmas behind us, it is very reassuring to see such impressive results and is a clear indication that consumer confidence is being sustained.
"This will of course be welcomed by retailers and puts us in a very good position for a strong 2014."
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Asos FY profit drop: What the analysts say
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Coats to open new zip factory in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam