UK: Online clothing sales growth slows in January
Growth in the online clothing sector slowed to 9% last month
Online retail sales in the UK increased 18% year-on-year in January, despite a slowdown in growth for the clothing sector, according to new research.
The latest figures from the IMRG Capgemini e-Retail Sales Index found online sales performed better than expected, with total spend estimated at GBP8.1bn (US13.53bn) during the month.
Excluding travel, UK consumers spent an average of GBP78 online in January, up from GBP74 in the same period last year, and the GBP76 seen in December.
Growth in the online clothing sector, meanwhile, slowed to 9% year-on-year, but the average spend was up 6% on the same month last year.
IMRG chief information officer, Tina Spooner, said this may indicate retailers were discounting less following a strong performance over the festive period.
While Chris Webster, VP and head of retail consulting and technology at Capgemini, added: "As we settle in to a new year, with the shopping bonanza that was Christmas behind us, it is very reassuring to see such impressive results and is a clear indication that consumer confidence is being sustained.
"This will of course be welcomed by retailers and puts us in a very good position for a strong 2014."
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Gap restructuring weighs on Q2 as profit falls 34%
- Ralph Lauren debuts biometic smart shirt
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019