UK: Online clothing sales growth slows in January
Growth in the online clothing sector slowed to 9% last month
Online retail sales in the UK increased 18% year-on-year in January, despite a slowdown in growth for the clothing sector, according to new research.
The latest figures from the IMRG Capgemini e-Retail Sales Index found online sales performed better than expected, with total spend estimated at GBP8.1bn (US13.53bn) during the month.
Excluding travel, UK consumers spent an average of GBP78 online in January, up from GBP74 in the same period last year, and the GBP76 seen in December.
Growth in the online clothing sector, meanwhile, slowed to 9% year-on-year, but the average spend was up 6% on the same month last year.
IMRG chief information officer, Tina Spooner, said this may indicate retailers were discounting less following a strong performance over the festive period.
While Chris Webster, VP and head of retail consulting and technology at Capgemini, added: "As we settle in to a new year, with the shopping bonanza that was Christmas behind us, it is very reassuring to see such impressive results and is a clear indication that consumer confidence is being sustained.
"This will of course be welcomed by retailers and puts us in a very good position for a strong 2014."
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- Fitness fashion propels Athleta towards $1bn sales
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Russia threatens ban on western apparel imports
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report