US: Operating costs driving retailers "into the red"
Accelerated selling, general and administrative (SG&A) spending is driving retailers into the red, one analyst has said, and could become a key theme over the near term.
Key to Wal-Mart's splurge was additional labour hours, higher healthcare costs and continued investment to enhance e-commerce, while Target just revealed longer store hours.
"These trends, combined with moderating topline trends due to constrained consumer spending will likely result in less leverage/deleverage," Janney Capital Markets analyst David Strasser said.
"This coupled with a weak consumer could drive earnings shortfalls as we head into the back half of 2014 and 2015."
When Target and Wal-Mart are raising spending, and online retailer Amazon continues its aggressive pace of spending at the expense of profitability, Strasser said "the rest of retail is going to react, or see it impact their top line".
The shift will also likely pressure vendors as well, he believes, with suppliers set to spend in the form of labour hours, or incremental help with direct shipping from retailers online.
"This inevitably will drive new questions about the right levels of profitability at retail, and likely force store closures and incremental consolidation as this industry continues to grapple with the need for elevated cost structures and profitability thresholds as the leading e-commerce player continues to push profitless prosperity."
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
In 2008, the US-based multinational company Wal-Mart Stores acquired the Chilean hypermarket, supermarket and retail company D&S, which already owned more than 250 stores across the country. Every yea...
Wal-Mart de México SAB de CV is the leading and most influential chained grocery retailer in Mexico. The company’s strategy is based on offering a wide range of products at affordable prices. Conseque...
Global Online Retail industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contains descrip...
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- New Gap CEO set to tackle “aesthetic issue”
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Falling euro adds to Bangladesh production woes
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- M&S Asia head quits as China stores to close
- Gap names new design head amid mixed Q4
- Pay rise mulled for Sri Lanka garment workers
- US labour concerns at Honduras apparel makers
- JC Penney share price falls on Q4 loss
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019