US: Operating costs driving retailers "into the red"
Accelerated selling, general and administrative (SG&A) spending is driving retailers into the red, one analyst has said, and could become a key theme over the near term.
Key to Wal-Mart's splurge was additional labour hours, higher healthcare costs and continued investment to enhance e-commerce, while Target just revealed longer store hours.
"These trends, combined with moderating topline trends due to constrained consumer spending will likely result in less leverage/deleverage," Janney Capital Markets analyst David Strasser said.
"This coupled with a weak consumer could drive earnings shortfalls as we head into the back half of 2014 and 2015."
When Target and Wal-Mart are raising spending, and online retailer Amazon continues its aggressive pace of spending at the expense of profitability, Strasser said "the rest of retail is going to react, or see it impact their top line".
The shift will also likely pressure vendors as well, he believes, with suppliers set to spend in the form of labour hours, or incremental help with direct shipping from retailers online.
"This inevitably will drive new questions about the right levels of profitability at retail, and likely force store closures and incremental consolidation as this industry continues to grapple with the need for elevated cost structures and profitability thresholds as the leading e-commerce player continues to push profitless prosperity."
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
For the 2015/2016 fiscal year, Wal-Mart’s key strategic goals include the expansion of its outlet network and the enhancement of its digital retail capabilities. In terms of outlet expansion, the comp...
Sheer hosiery increased by 5% in current value terms and by 2% in volume terms in 2014. Sheer hosiery is a category which predominantly targets at women and includes sheer tights, hold-ups, stockings,...
Global Online Retail industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contains descrip...
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Hong Kong industry pins future on innovation
- Asian union development: is there another way?
- US Q2 in brief: Guess, PVH, Abercrombie & Fitch
- Gap restructuring weighs on Q2 as profit falls 34%
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Ralph Lauren debuts biometic smart shirt
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019