US: Operating costs driving retailers "into the red"
Accelerated selling, general and administrative (SG&A) spending is driving retailers into the red, one analyst has said, and could become a key theme over the near term.
Key to Wal-Mart's splurge was additional labour hours, higher healthcare costs and continued investment to enhance e-commerce, while Target just revealed longer store hours.
"These trends, combined with moderating topline trends due to constrained consumer spending will likely result in less leverage/deleverage," Janney Capital Markets analyst David Strasser said.
"This coupled with a weak consumer could drive earnings shortfalls as we head into the back half of 2014 and 2015."
When Target and Wal-Mart are raising spending, and online retailer Amazon continues its aggressive pace of spending at the expense of profitability, Strasser said "the rest of retail is going to react, or see it impact their top line".
The shift will also likely pressure vendors as well, he believes, with suppliers set to spend in the form of labour hours, or incremental help with direct shipping from retailers online.
"This inevitably will drive new questions about the right levels of profitability at retail, and likely force store closures and incremental consolidation as this industry continues to grapple with the need for elevated cost structures and profitability thresholds as the leading e-commerce player continues to push profitless prosperity."
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (WMT) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by...
Wal-Mart's South African banner Massmart, revealed a fall in earnings in its second-quarter on the back of a weakened Rand and slowing retail sales....
In 2008, the US-based multinational company Wal-Mart Stores acquired the Chilean hypermarket, supermarket and retail company D&S, which already owned more than 250 stores across the country. Every yea...
Wal-Mart de México SAB de CV is the leading and most influential chained grocery retailer in Mexico. The company’s strategy is based on offering a wide range of products at affordable prices. Conseque...
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- US cotton production set to decline
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details