EUROPE: Outdoor industry to host living wage roundtable
A roundtable to discuss the provision of a living wage for workers in global supply chains is being hosted later this year by the European Outdoor Group (EOG) and the Clean Clothes Campaign (CCC).
The issue is particularly acute in many Asian countries where the national wage legislation falls short of allowing textile workers a wage from which they can provide for a family.
“The crucial issue is not the principle involved, as that should be accepted by everyone with a conscience, but more how to calculate a fair wage and what mechanisms can be use to ensure its provision,” explains Mark Held, secretary general of the EOG. “In short, how can a fair wage policy be implemented?”
The EOG, which represents the common interests of the European outdoor industry, sees its role as a conduit to provide information and to introduce potential solutions. The living wage debate will discuss the current state of living wage models and possible solutions.
The roundtable takes place on 27 October in Berlin, and will involve representatives from the Asia Floor Wage Alliance (AFW), the Clean Clothes Campaign and the Fair Wear Foundation.
Places are strictly limited and by invitation only, and anyone wishing to attend is advised to email Mark Held.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts