Outerknown launches eco-friendly labels and tags
Avery Dennison Retail Branding and Information Solutions (RBIS) has teamed up with sustainable men's wear brand Outerknown to create new tags and care labels that reduce environmental impact and help promote sustainable consumption.
Founded by professional surfer Kelly Slater, Outerknown makes contemporary men's wear using materials such as blended hemp and organic cotton denim, organic Pima cotton, and fabrics produced from recycled Econyl nylon fibres from Italian company Aquafil.
The collaboration with Avery Dennison has created care labels and tags that use materials like dissolvable paper, yarns from recycled fishing nets and polybags. The new Econyl label, for instance, is made of soy-based ink and reads "this label will dissolve in water, reducing our global footprint, go ahead, try it".
The partnership has been described as a "natural evolution" by Shelly Gottshamer, chief supply chain and sustainability officer at Outerknown.
She adds: "We want to smash the formula, know what our environmental impacts are and do what we can to improve them. We looked for a partner with a complete package in environmental solutions – we know the items [they] are producing for us are produced in the most ethical and environmental way that they can be and something that we care a lot about."
Avery Dennison account manager, Jon Day, says: "We are making a shift in what we are doing so sustainability is truly part of who we are as a company – we are really trying to change the environment in which we work in as well as the trajectory our marketplace is going, not only for today but for the future."
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- H&M CEO named sustainability leader
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020