NEPAL: Pashmina producers to get trade support
The International Trade Centre (ITC) is to help pashmina producers in Nepal to develop their products and market presence, including the use of a collective trademark.
The ITC, a joint agency of the World Trade Organization and the UN, said the Pashmina Enhancement and Trade Support (PETS) project aimed to provoke international interest in products made under the Chyangra Pashmina trademark by small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
The project has three aims: to support the Nepal Pashmina Industry Association (NPIA) in providing services to members; to enable the manufacturers to increase their exports; and to to encourage buyers to recognise the Chyangra Pashmina label as a niche luxury product.
The ITC would also provide training to goat farmers to integrate them into the value chain, as well as working with manufacturers to improve their design skills and helping them to grow their presence in existing markets, and to identify new ones.
“This initiative will not only help create a strong reputation for the country’s pashmina products, it will also open up new export opportunities for SMEs,” said ITC executive director Arancha González.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Five ways to tackle market and demand volatility
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- Hungary offers a mix of strengths and weaknesses
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- Uniqlo under fire again for China worker abuses
- Golden Lady creates a new man-made fibre
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015