NEPAL: Pashmina producers to get trade support
The International Trade Centre (ITC) is to help pashmina producers in Nepal to develop their products and market presence, including the use of a collective trademark.
The ITC, a joint agency of the World Trade Organization and the UN, said the Pashmina Enhancement and Trade Support (PETS) project aimed to provoke international interest in products made under the Chyangra Pashmina trademark by small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
The project has three aims: to support the Nepal Pashmina Industry Association (NPIA) in providing services to members; to enable the manufacturers to increase their exports; and to to encourage buyers to recognise the Chyangra Pashmina label as a niche luxury product.
The ITC would also provide training to goat farmers to integrate them into the value chain, as well as working with manufacturers to improve their design skills and helping them to grow their presence in existing markets, and to identify new ones.
“This initiative will not only help create a strong reputation for the country’s pashmina products, it will also open up new export opportunities for SMEs,” said ITC executive director Arancha González.
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- INTERVIEW: David Nieper pushes Made in UK momentum
- VF Corp bullish for second-half growth
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- ILO backs Burma project to improve work practices
- UN rights expert urges further Cambodia reforms
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies