NEPAL: Pashmina producers to get trade support
The International Trade Centre (ITC) is to help pashmina producers in Nepal to develop their products and market presence, including the use of a collective trademark.
The ITC, a joint agency of the World Trade Organization and the UN, said the Pashmina Enhancement and Trade Support (PETS) project aimed to provoke international interest in products made under the Chyangra Pashmina trademark by small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
The project has three aims: to support the Nepal Pashmina Industry Association (NPIA) in providing services to members; to enable the manufacturers to increase their exports; and to to encourage buyers to recognise the Chyangra Pashmina label as a niche luxury product.
The ITC would also provide training to goat farmers to integrate them into the value chain, as well as working with manufacturers to improve their design skills and helping them to grow their presence in existing markets, and to identify new ones.
“This initiative will not only help create a strong reputation for the country’s pashmina products, it will also open up new export opportunities for SMEs,” said ITC executive director Arancha González.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- What the EU-Vietnam trade deal means for duties
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Esquel backs Chinese Sea Island cotton production
- US apparel import growth led by Bangladesh
- Ultimate frontier Myanmar uplifts Bogart Lingerie
- Sears looks to lift apparel via sourcing changes
- Eco-friendly garment factory opens in Bangladesh
- Nike accelerates digital strategy with new hire
- Clothing and sports chains in activewear battle
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- Practical Price Negotiation