US: Patagonia unveils $700 parka
Outdoor apparel specialist Patagonia has launched a limited edition parka – claimed as “the first of its kind” and retailing at US$699.
Describing the Encapsil Down Belay Parka as “an extraordinary work of design and engineering”, Patagonia said it was 100% independently baffled and differentially cut without any sewn-through seams which could leave cold spots.
The parka weighs 18oz (510g) and is insulated with Patagonia’s plasma-treated, water-repellent Encapsil 1,000-fill-power down.
Company vice president of advanced research and development Randy Harward said the product had been five years in R&D, and the company was eager to use the technology in future styles.
The parka will be sold through Patagonia’s website and in its stores in Boulder and NYC Meatpacking.
The concept of closed loop supply chains sounds a laudable, if possibly Utopian ideal: a virtuous circle of production from cradle to grave and back to cradle again. However, the reality is proving ha...
Patagonia is a leading USA-based supplier of rugged technical apparel and accessories for a variety of outdoor pursuits, including mountain climbing, skiing, surfing and fishing. The company offers a ...
Environmental concerns focus on a range of pollutants in that water, from pesticides on cotton fields to dust storms caused by overgrazing in Inner Mongolia by cashmere goats....
Water sports apparel is designed to keep the wearer warm while he or she participates in underwater and surface water sports and recreational activities -- such as diving, snorkelling, sailing and sur...
This report provides an update of recent developments in corporate social responsibility (CSR) in the global textile and clothing industry in the following categories: certification systems; company s...
Since its introduction in the country three years ago, the International Labor Organization's (ILO) Better Work programme has been credited with helping elevate Nicaragua as an ethical sourcing locati...
Clothing made from temperature control fabrics plays a critical role in boosting the physiological comfort of the wearer -- and such comfort can have a vital role to play in the performance of an athl...
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- New fibre and fabric innovations for outdoor wear
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- US West Coast port contract reached
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide