US: Perry Ellis "disappointed" as it cuts outlook
- Expects Q4 sales decline of 16%
- EPS forecast at $0.02 to $0.05
- Gross margin expands 170 bps
Perry Ellis is "extremely disappointed" with its Q4 and FY results
Apparel maker Perry Ellis International said it is "extremely disappointed" with its fourth-quarter and full-year results as it cut its outlook on poor weather and a challenging retail environment.
For its fourth-quarter ended 1 February, Perry Ellis said it expects to report a 16% decline in revenues to US$216m versus sales of $258m a year earlier. Adjusted EPS is expected to be in the range of $0.02 to $0.05.
The company said its performance has been impacted by inclement weather across major parts of the country coupled with a challenging consumer spending environment across its distribution channels.
In its direct-to-consumer channel, lower mall traffic resulted in a comparable store sales decline of 4.8%. In wholesale, Perry Ellis said replenishment orders were essentially turned off for many retailers who were struggling to manage overall store inventories.
Gross margins expanded 170 bps, driven by a higher contribution from licensing revenues and higher margins in the golf apparel and Rafaella sportswear business.
For its full-year, however, Perry Ellis expects sales of around $912m and EPS in the range of $0.34 to $0.37. This falls below its prior forecast of 95 cents to $1.01 per share and revenue of $960m to $970m.
"We are extremely disappointed with our fourth quarter and full year results," said COO said Oscar Feldenkreis. "We experienced a very difficult environment, which required our customers to become more aggressive with promotions and limit new orders. We expect our customers to remain cautious and have adjusted our expectations for initial delivery and replenishment orders in fiscal 2015."
The company will report its fourth-quarter and full-year results the week of 7 April.
Canadean's "Perry Ellis International, Inc. - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major pr...
Ongoing delays at west coast ports in the US have impacted fourth quarter trading at apparel group Perry Ellis International - resulting in US$23m in lost sales....
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the performance apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; company...
Recent gains in margins and shareholder returns are "only the beginning" for apparel business Perry Ellis International, senior directors have told shareholders....
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the performance apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corpora...
US apparel business Perry Ellis International has entered into license agreements with distribution firm 33 Joints for men's footwear under the Farah Vintage and Farah Classic trademarks....
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the performance apparel industry in the following categories:...
- Sustainable fibres, finishes and processes at ITMA
- Esquel CEO says automation core to competitiveness
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- Five ways to tackle market and demand volatility
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Uniqlo under fire again for China worker abuses
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- VF Corp and Kohl's join White House climate pledge
- US Q3 in brief: Shoe Carnival, Caleres
- Adidas develops high-tech swimwear range
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory