US: PETA buys Talbots stock in anti-mulesing move
Animal welfare pressure group PETA has bought shares in apparel retailer The Talbots as part of its campaign against the mulesing of sheep in Australia.
The group intends to use its status as a shareholder in the company to stop it from buying wool from Australian farmers involved in mulesing - the cutting away of flesh from the hindquarters of sheep to prevent infestation.
PETA claimed it had tried to "work co-operatively" with Talbots, but had found the retailer unresponsive.
"There's nothing fashionable about cutting the skin and flesh from lambs' backsides, whether it's done with shears or with clips," said PETA executive vice president Tracy Reiman.
"We'll rally support from other shareholders to change Talbots' policy because when a company is associated with cruelty to animals, it can also hurt the bottom line."
Trade group Australian Wool Innovation had agreed to phase out mulesing by 2010, but announced in July that it was abandoning that commitment.
The Talbots did not respond to just-style requests for comment.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Like just about every other business sector on the planet, retailers continued to be affected by global economic turmoil during 2009. Companies previously intent on expansion and growth turned to cost...
Women's wear retailer The Talbots is now anticipating stronger than expected fourth quarter operating results, thanks to positive sales trends....
Leading garment manufacturer TAL Group has rolled out a latest version of the Lawson enterprise software system....
Apparel retailer Mexx International, which is part of the Liz Claiborne group, has appointed Yan Aerts to head its operations in France....
Fashion company Liz Claiborne has named Lisa Piovano Machacek as the company's new senior vice president and chief human resources officer....
Here is a roundup of the top five most-read stories on just-style this week. Click on each headline for the full story....
Liz Claiborne is selling its retail chain in Canada to women's wear retailer Laura Canada, a privately held firm based in Montreal....
Retail consulting firm Retail Process Engineering (RPE) has hired IT industry veteran Bruce Ash as its new vice president of strategic consulting....
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts