USA: PETA Launches New Campaign To Ban Merino Wool
Animal rights activist People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) today launched a campaign in Los Angeles pushing for a boycott of Australian merino wool products.
The group's protests against the wool have already led to US retail giant Abercrombie & Fitch scrapping Australian wool garments from its collections.
The group is planning to protest at four US-based Australian consulates and the Australian Embassy in Washington DC over the next month.
It wants the Australian wool industry to stop both the export of live animals, and the process of mulesing, which involves loose flesh being cut from a lamb's hindquarters.
Australian industry body Australian Wool Innovation has already launched legal action against PETA following Abercrombie & Fitch's boycott, in an attempt to get the protestors to stop pressuring clothing retailers.
Companies: Australian Wool Innovation Limited
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Australian Wool Innovation Limited (AWI) has launched a $2 million five-year research project to determine if selective breeding programs can produce blowfly-strike resistant sheep....
A campaign to promote Australian wool in the US has been given the green light by three key organisations - Australian Wool Innovation Limited (AWI), Australian Wool Services (AWS) and the Internation...
Industry body Australian Wool Innovation (AWI) is pushing Australia's government to ensure the country's wool is included in any forthcoming free trade agreements with China....
Industry marketing body Australian Wool Innovation has netted a deal with Chinese garment maker the Heilan group that will reportedly launch wool-blend machine-washable men's suits onto the Chinese ma...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report