USA: Phillips-Van Heusen Sued Over Calvin Trademark
Apparel giants Calvin Klein Inc and its owner Phillips-Van Heusen Corp are being sued by a clothing manufacturer over the use of the 'Calvin' trademark.
Scranton-based Calvin Clothing Co Inc is accusing Phillips-Van Heusen Corp of "a frontal assault" and wants to stop it from using the "Calvin" and destroy any stock bearing that label.
According to Associated Press, Calvin Clothing, named after the owner's son in 1935, had an "understanding" with Calvin Klein that the name could be used for marketing purposes as long as it was never shortened to "Calvin."
However, after Phillips-Van Heusen bought Calvin Klein in December 2002 its executives apparently wanted to use the Calvin brand to sell boys' tailored clothing as well as products identical to those made by Calvin Clothing.
Associated Press says the dispute has carried over into the US Patent and Trademark Office, where Phillips-Van Heusen has already taken action to oppose some of Calvin Clothing's trademark registrations.
Calvin Clothing lawyer Joseph R Solfanelli said in the lawsuit that the "defendants are either seeking to destroy Calvin Clothing's right to use the Calvin mark or, at a minimum, to pigeonhole Calvin Clothing into an unsustainable niche market."
Calvin Clothing's Calvin brand currently does $14 million in annual retail sales.
Each year the Goldmine Garment Company Ltd produces seven million formal and casual shirts and blouses, 12,000 samples, and turns over US$36 million per year (FOB). Employing around 2,300 people it is...
Apparel company Phillips-Van Heusen has increased its revenue and earnings guidance for the fourth quarter and financial year 2005 after good Christmas trading....
Leading apparel maker Warnaco is to buy the companies that operate the licenses and related wholesale and retail businesses of Calvin Klein jeans and accessories in Europe and Asia for EUR240m (US$286...
Calvin Klein women's better sportswear, a division of the Kellwood Company, has named Chris Jackson vice president of design....
Apparel maker Phillips-Van Heusen has posted a 51 per cent hike in third-quarter profit, on better sales of men's sportswear and dress shirts....
Fashion brand Calvin Klein Inc, a wholly owned subsidiary of apparel group Phillips-Van Heusen Corporation, has signed a deal with Fingen SpA to make and distribute the Calvin Klein Collection brand w...
Calvin Klein Inc has signed a licensing agreement with G-III Apparel Group Ltd for women's better suits in the United States, Canada, and Mexico....
Apparel group Phillips-Van Heusen Corp has reported a jump in second-quarter earnings on good sales of men's sportswear and smart shirts....
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- H&M CEO named sustainability leader
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020