GERMANY: Plus-size survey to improve women’s wear fit
A size survey and research project are currently underway to gather data on plus-size women, with a view to improving the fit of clothing for this growing market.
The research project overseen by the Forschungskuratorium Textil eV (Textile Research Board) is measuring and evaluating body size and shape scientifically for the first time.
The results will provide the garment industry with current body measurement data, guidelines for the best designs, and realistic virtual size models.
Until now there has been a lack of well-fitting plus-size garments, partly due to the lack of data but also because scaling up an item designed for a size 8-12 doesn't accommodate different body shapes.
The research, which has also been carried out with the Hohenstein Institute for Clothing Physiology and the Institute of Textile Machinery and High Performance Material Technology at Dresden's Technical University, has evaluated 4000 data sets from women ranging in size from 44 to 64.
Measurements were recorded with state-of-the art 3D scanning technologies over the course of several size surveys.
From this, the Hohenstein Institute has produced new body size tables for sizes 48 to 64 and 3D size models for sizes 48 to 60. It has also compiled guidelines to help design plus-size women's outerwear.
- Nike reaffirms US production commitment
- Levi Strauss raises the bar on sustainability
- Gap and H&M back Myanmar path to labour reform
- H&M faces margin pressure on dollar impact
- Can the Gap brand reclaim its iconic status?
- Myanmar minimum wage set at US$3.2 per day
- Far Eastern to invest $323m in Vietnam textile hub
- Fast Retailing supplier continues strike talks
- China cotton stockpile auction may shake up market
- Over 8,000 children in Delhi garment industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: The EU - May 2015
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015