USA: Polo Ralph Lauren Sued In Discrimination Dispute
Two former employees of Polo Ralph Lauren Corp have filed a lawsuit claiming the fashion house denied them the same pay and job opportunities as its white employees, the Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday.
According to the paper, the ex-workers have received a "right to sue" ruling from the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the government agency that enforces anti-discrimination labour laws.
In the suit, Henry Williams, an African-American who worked for several years at Polo's shops in two department stores, alleged that despite increasing his responsibilities, Polo's failure to promote him was "discriminatory in intent and effect".
Gerardeen Benedict, who is of Filipino descent, worked in Polo's human resources and alleged that white colleagues earned substantially higher starting salaries than she did, despite the fact she had a doctorate in experimental psychology.
The Journal said a spokeswoman for Polo denied the allegations and said the firm "remains committed to a fair and diverse workplace". She added: "The EEOC has been pleased with the programs and policies we have put in place over the past couple of years."
Ranked as one of Thailand's top three textile producers and the country's seventh largest garment maker with a 2003 sales turnover of US$46 million, the Nan Yang Textile Group is one of only a handful...
The United States Polo Association and apparel company Jordache Limited have been granted the right to use horse logos on their goods after a court case concluded they do not infringe on the trademark...
Luxury goods group Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation says it enjoyed a fourfold growth in first-quarter profit due to good demand for spring and summer collections....
Luxury goods giant Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation has completed the acquisition of Ralph Lauren Footwear Co Inc from sportswear company Reebok International Ltd....
Luxury goods group Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation has named Jonathan Drucker as senior vice president, general counsel, as of 18 July 2005....
Luxury goods group Polo Ralph Lauren Corp has reported a dive in first-quarter net income, affected by expenses due to litigation and restructuring....
Luxury goods group Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation has signed a definitive agreement to buy back its global licensee for footwear, Ralph Lauren Footwear Co Inc, off sportswear giant Reebok International...
Luxury goods company Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation has named Scott Bowman as president, international business development....
- Why Inditex is "clear winner" in fast fashion
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- US Q2 in brief - Carter's, Wolverine Worldwide
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020