USA: Polo Ralph Lauren Sued In Discrimination Dispute
Two former employees of Polo Ralph Lauren Corp have filed a lawsuit claiming the fashion house denied them the same pay and job opportunities as its white employees, the Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday.
According to the paper, the ex-workers have received a "right to sue" ruling from the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the government agency that enforces anti-discrimination labour laws.
In the suit, Henry Williams, an African-American who worked for several years at Polo's shops in two department stores, alleged that despite increasing his responsibilities, Polo's failure to promote him was "discriminatory in intent and effect".
Gerardeen Benedict, who is of Filipino descent, worked in Polo's human resources and alleged that white colleagues earned substantially higher starting salaries than she did, despite the fact she had a doctorate in experimental psychology.
The Journal said a spokeswoman for Polo denied the allegations and said the firm "remains committed to a fair and diverse workplace". She added: "The EEOC has been pleased with the programs and policies we have put in place over the past couple of years."
Ranked as one of Thailand's top three textile producers and the country's seventh largest garment maker with a 2003 sales turnover of US$46 million, the Nan Yang Textile Group is one of only a handful...
The United States Polo Association and apparel company Jordache Limited have been granted the right to use horse logos on their goods after a court case concluded they do not infringe on the trademark...
Luxury goods group Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation says it enjoyed a fourfold growth in first-quarter profit due to good demand for spring and summer collections....
Luxury goods giant Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation has completed the acquisition of Ralph Lauren Footwear Co Inc from sportswear company Reebok International Ltd....
Luxury goods group Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation has named Jonathan Drucker as senior vice president, general counsel, as of 18 July 2005....
Luxury goods group Polo Ralph Lauren Corp has reported a dive in first-quarter net income, affected by expenses due to litigation and restructuring....
Luxury goods group Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation has signed a definitive agreement to buy back its global licensee for footwear, Ralph Lauren Footwear Co Inc, off sportswear giant Reebok International...
Luxury goods company Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation has named Scott Bowman as president, international business development....
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Who has signed the Bangladesh safety accord?
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Coats to open new zip factory in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam