US: Pony brand changes hands, brings in Nike-ex as president
Footwear group Global Brand Marketing (GBMI) has sold off the Pony sports brand to Infinity Associates and Symphony Holdings, who have previously teamed up to buy businesses such as Converse and Haggar.
GBMI will consult with Sharp Gains under a management services contract and will assist with components of the transition for a limited period following the closing of the sale.
CEO of GBM, Killick Datta, said: "By selling our majority interest in Pony we have significantly improved the financial strength of GBMI. As we look to 2007 and beyond, we are now poised for further growth, both organically and through additional acquisitions and/or licensing opportunities."
GBMI's other brands include Dry-shoD, Dry-shoD Verde and FunFlopps.
Pony has now appointed Nike-ex Dave Edwards as president and COO. Edwards spent 19 years in several senior executive positions at sports giant Nike.
He said: "I am excited to have the opportunity to continue building Pony. The potential to develop both the heritage and performance product ranges of this dynamic 34-year-old brand is limitless. I look forward to establishing close relationships with Pony's customers, suppliers and partners around the world."
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Men's and ladies' wear marketer Haggar Corp has reported third-quarter sales and income increases as it continues efforts to boost the quality and cost of its goods. ...
Sportswear giant adidas has clinched a long-term partnership deal with tennis superstar Andre Agassi, who previously held a contract with archrival Nike....
Independent music label Dischord Records has forced sportswear giant Nike Inc to apologise for unlawfully using artwork from a punk-rock record cover in a promotional campaign for skateboarding appar...
Nike Inc, the world's biggest athletic-shoe maker, said fourth-quarter earnings rose 15 percent, encouraged by sales of high- priced Air Jordan and Shox sneakers....
Shoe chain Payless ShoeSource Inc has secured Matthew Rubel, a former executive of sportswear giant Nike Inc, as its new chief executive officer from July onwards....
Men's and women's apparel company Perry Ellis International Inc has named Al Derago senior vice president of the Nike swim division, effective today....
Men's and women's apparel marketer Haggar Clothing Co is planning to implement Jesta IS's Vision Merchandising Solution in its retail subsidiary....
Sportswear giant Nike Inc has warned football club Manchester United that it may pull out of their £303 million sponsorship deal if the club doesn't improve its performance....
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Adidas raises the bar for North America sales
- Finding value in fashion retail reverse logistics
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- US Q4 in brief – Destination XL Group, Caleres
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- Target unveils "ambitious" store re-design plans
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective