UK: Poor weather hits December fashion sales
Poor weather hampered fashion sales in December
Pre-Christmas discounting failed to offset a decline in fashion sales for UK retailers in December, after the sector was hit by poor weather and savvy bargain hunters.
The BDO High Street Sales Tracker showed fashion sales fell 4.6% year-on-year, despite sales picking up slightly at the end of the month.
Overall, like-for-like sales among mid-market retailers fell 2.2%. Last minute present shopping saw non-fashion sales pick up in the final week, offsetting a weak start to the month, but finished up 2%.
Meanwhile, non-store sales jumped 31.1% year-on-year, helped by a 55.7% increase in the week before Christmas.
Don Williams, national head of retail and wholesale at BDO, said the online figures illustrate just how critical it is for retailers to invest in online routes to market.
"Many retailers will feel disappointed with reduced footfall in stores but when the technology is right this shows that this need not be a disaster," he added.
"The big rise in the last week of December when we started to see discounting shows that consumers are prepared to hold out until the last minute to pick up a bargain."
This suggests, Williams noted, the January sales will encourage shoppers to part with their money, but warned there is little room for complacency.
"January is a cruel month for the high street as retailers are usually sitting on high cash holdings and low stock levels so they are particularly exposed at this time of year."
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Mexico makers see rise in exports and local demand
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- UK retailers to answer over human trafficking
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- LF Corp to streamline planning and sourcing
- Millennials "changing the game" for hosiery
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects