UK: Portas knickers firm collapses into administration
Headen & Quarmby produces underwear for Mary Portas' Kinky Knickers range
Headen & Quarmby, the underwear manufacturer behind the Kinky Knickers range launched by British TV presenter Mary Portas to highlight the viability of UK production, has fallen into administration after a drop in post-Christmas orders.
The Lancashire-based business also produces underwear for a number of high-street retailers and brands, employing 33 staff, who have all been made redundant.
Joint administrators Kerry Bailey and Patrick Lannagan from accountancy firm BDO were appointed last Wednesday (15 January).
They said they are investigating options to recommence trading and fulfil customer orders, with a view to selling the business as a going concern.
Bailey said: "A drop in post-Christmas orders from key customers and a decline in sales volumes has significantly affected the business and resulted in a deterioration of its working capital position. However, we are doing everything we can to try to secure a future for the business, and we are hopeful of securing a sale."
"To that end, the administration team would welcome approaches from commercial parties interested in acquiring the business or assets."
- INTERVIEW: Crystal CEO rises to the challenges
- Pacific Crystal Textiles gears up for production
- Li & Fung: China consumption to bring major change
- Growth in smart garments and wearable technology
- Innovation and e-commerce key to Nike's growth
- Adidas taps Nike designers for new creative studio
- China apparel interns in forced labour conditions
- Addressing anaemia key to Cambodia productivity
- Chinese firm to invest in Ethiopian textile plant
- Activists slam dismissals at Sri Lanka shoe firm