NEW ZEALAND: Postie Plus sold to South African group Pepkor
Under the agreement, Postie Plus will change its name to Retva Ltd
Troubled New Zealand clothing retailer Postie Plus has been sold to Roan Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of South African investment company Pepkor.
Under the agreement, Roan has acquired the retail chain's head office and 64 stores in New Zealand, with more than 530 of Postie's 560 staff moving to positions with the new owner. Postie Plus will also change its name to Retva Ltd.
Pepkor has retail operations in South Africa, Eastern Europe and Australia, where its businesses include the Best & Less and Harris Scarfe chains.
Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
The move comes six weeks after ongoing losses and a lack of new capital forced Postie Plus into administration.
During the six months to 2 February, the group's net loss after tax widened to NZD3.8m (US$3.2m) from NZD1.8m in the prior year period, while sales fell 9.9% to NZD39m over NZD43.3m last year.
Administrator David Bridgman believes the sale as a going concern is in the "best interests" of all creditors and Postie Plus staff. He added that many of the retailer's suppliers will be able to continue trading with Postie Plus under its new ownership.
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Alliance brands "staying the course" in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Bangladesh denied US GSP re-entry on worker rights
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- Supply chain focus for Puma sustainability targets
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis