US: Potential exists to develop online footwear sales
Further opportunities exist to develop online sales for footwear, according to a new report from market research company The NPD Group.
More consumers have shopped online for apparel than for footwear, but footwear comes out on top in terms of sales penetration, according to the E-Commerce Hot Topic fashion footwear report.
“Retailers have come a long way in getting consumers to engage in shopping online,” said Marshal Cohen, NPD chief industry analyst.
“We can see that consumers are pretty comfortable these days in this marketplace but opportunity exists to further develop the footwear category.”
The report says that, even though footwear is one of the top 10 categories shopped for and purchased online, more than one-quarter of consumers would rather shop in-store.
“Converting these sceptics to believers is especially important for online retailers because those that have ever shopped online for footwear, spend half of their total footwear shopping time online,” said Cohen.
“That’s a lot of time, and it’s translating into a lot of dollar sales.”
Meanwhile, online footwear sales for men are lower than those for women, although men do a greater share of their total footwear shopping online.
And multi-brand retailers sites are the most preferred venues for shopping, the report suggests.
Teen apparel retailer Hot Topic has reported a 34.4% increase in its fourth-quarter profit, driven by higher sales....
US teen apparel retailer Hot Topic has announced the appointment of two executives - Don Hendricks as chief operating officer and George Wehlitz as chief financial officer....
Hot Topic chief financial officer Jim McGinty is to step down from the apparel and accessories retailer....
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Asos FY profit drop: What the analysts say
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Coats to open new zip factory in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre