PAKISTAN: Power shortages blamed for fall in exports
Pakistan's textile and clothing exports fell by 5% to US$5.96bn during first half of the current fiscal year 2011-12, according to the latest data released by the country's Federal Bureau of Statistics, with local industry groups blaming the drop on ongoing power shortages.
The figures show that in the six months from July to December, the export value of knitted garments dropped 5% to US$1047m and cotton yarn fell 21% to US$776m. But exports of cotton cloth and ready-made garments were up 7% and 2% respectively in value terms. Footwear exports remained flat at US$47m.
The domestic textile and leather industries are being hit by energy shortages, especially in the province of Punjab where gas was supplied for just half of 2011. On top of this there have been 6-8 hour daily electricity cuts for the industry.
Unprecedented energy shortages are the main reason for the substantial drop in exports, according to Mohsin Aziz, chairman of the All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA).
He says the textile industry lost US$1bn in exports in first half of the current fiscal year and is likely to lose another US$2bn in the second half.
The figures contrast with a 35% hike in textile and clothing exports in the fiscal year to June 2011, which reached a record level of US$13.8bn. This was mainly triggered by higher commodity prices and government subsidies.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Adidas files trademark suit against Forever 21
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019