UK: Primark forecasts 17% full-year sales growth
It said the "excellent result" was due to an increase in selling space and like-for-like sales growth, which it is forecasting to be 3% for the year.
"Trading this summer in the UK was particularly strong and sales in continental Europe remained buoyant. Trading in our newly opened stores exceeded expectations, and the opening of the new store in Berlin in July saw our most successful first day's sales ever," the company said adding that early sales of its autumn/winter range have been "encouraging".
Operating margins are expected to be close to last year's levels, even though the retailer recorded lower margins in the first-half as it absorbed higher cotton prices. It said margins improved in the second half, following the fall in cotton prices.
The company's consolidated second half results, which include its agriculture, grocery, ingredients and sugar operations, are expected to be "substantially ahead of last year and in line with expectations".
Featured reports from just-style's research store this week include company briefings on Arcadia, H&M and Next, a look at the trends in world textile and clothing trade, and global and regional trend...
Retailer Marks & Spencer has reported worse-than-expected Christmas trading figures, with a poor performance in its general merchandise business - which includes clothing and footwear - offsetting str...
UK value retailer Primark has recorded an "outstanding" first half performance, according to its owner Associated British Foods (ABF). ...
UK discount fashion retailer Primark has today (18 January) confirmed plans to open its first stores in France....
- Expensive US dollar hitting H&M sourcing costs
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- Apparel industry gains traction says IAF chief
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Hanesbrands invests $1.5m in US hosiery plant
- US takes final step to WTO TFA implementation
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead