UK: Primark joins hazardous chemical pledge
Primark has agreed to eliminate all hazardous chemicals in its supply chain
Primark has become the latest retailer to commit to the elimination of hazardous chemicals from all its products and across its production processes by 2020.
Primark will also require its suppliers to upload data on hazardous chemical discharges via a publicly accessible platform.
According to environmental organisation Greenpeace, which has campaigned for a cleaner clothing supply chain, this will give people living near these facilities in manufacturing centres like China the right to know what is being discharged into their environment.
"This commitment is great news for Primark's customers, its workers and the local communities affected by toxic-water pollution," said Ilze Smit, Greenpeace detox campaigner.
"It is now up to Primark to ensure these promises are translated into concrete actions."
A recent Greenpeace investigation found potentially hazardous chemicals in children's clothes and shoes made by brands including Burberry, Adidas and Disney. Burberry has since committed to the elimination of hazardous chemicals from its supply chain.
Other companies who have already committed to the Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals (ZDHC) in their supply chains include major retail, sportswear and luxury brands such as Adidas, C&A, Esprit, G-Star Raw, H&M, Inditex, Jack Wolfskin, Levi Strauss, Li Ning, M&S, New Balance, Nike, and Puma.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Burberry Group plc (BRBY) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by G...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Women's and Girls' Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Women's and Girls' Dresses, Women's and Girls' Suits & Coats, Women's and G...
H & M Hennes & Mauritz AB - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servic...
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- JC Penney emphasises new merchandising strategy
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Crystal Group nurtures its caring culture
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- Vietnam proposes 15% rise to regional minimum wage
- Cambodia garment workers “dying on the job”
- Avery Dennison forms JV with Ningbo Shenzhou
- Nike appointments to drive growth opportunities
- Accord and Alliance discord over inspections
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey