UK: Primark joins hazardous chemical pledge
Primark has agreed to eliminate all hazardous chemicals in its supply chain
Primark has become the latest retailer to commit to the elimination of hazardous chemicals from all its products and across its production processes by 2020.
Primark will also require its suppliers to upload data on hazardous chemical discharges via a publicly accessible platform.
According to environmental organisation Greenpeace, which has campaigned for a cleaner clothing supply chain, this will give people living near these facilities in manufacturing centres like China the right to know what is being discharged into their environment.
"This commitment is great news for Primark's customers, its workers and the local communities affected by toxic-water pollution," said Ilze Smit, Greenpeace detox campaigner.
"It is now up to Primark to ensure these promises are translated into concrete actions."
A recent Greenpeace investigation found potentially hazardous chemicals in children's clothes and shoes made by brands including Burberry, Adidas and Disney. Burberry has since committed to the elimination of hazardous chemicals from its supply chain.
Other companies who have already committed to the Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals (ZDHC) in their supply chains include major retail, sportswear and luxury brands such as Adidas, C&A, Esprit, G-Star Raw, H&M, Inditex, Jack Wolfskin, Levi Strauss, Li Ning, M&S, New Balance, Nike, and Puma.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Burberry Group plc (BRBY) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by G...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Women's and Girls' Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Women's and Girls' Dresses, Women's and Girls' Suits & Coats, Women's and G...
Levi Strauss & Co has settled an investigation through the US International Trade Commission (ITC) over patent infringement regarding certain laser abraded denim garments....
H & M Hennes & Mauritz AB - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servic...
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- New fibre and fabric innovations for outdoor wear
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- Who's winning in UK apparel shopping switch?
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- US West Coast port contract reached
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide