UK: Primark lands fine over dangerous hoodies
Primark has been fined GBP7,500 (US$15,151) after being convicted of selling children's hoodies with dangerous neck cords, said local reports.
The retail firm was reportedly found guilty at a trial at Sunderland Magistrates' Court after trading standards officers in the area found two stores selling the garments.
Primark's solicitor had argued that the clothes, sold for between GBP4 and GBP6 were not intended for children, reported The Sunderland Echo.
The company was not available for comment when contacted by just-style today (6 September).
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
The top ten children's wear markets are growing at around 6-7% each year – and are expected to generate retail sales of US$131.5bn by 2012 according to new research from just-style. And in what will b...
There was little Christmas cheer at M&S yesterday (9 January) after the retailer posted its worst quarterly results in more than two years. But are the figures symptomatic of problems at M&S specifica...
Sales at UK clothing retailer Primark are "substantially ahead" of last year, boosted by a better-than-expected Christmas period....
Rising sales at UK retailer Asda, which sells the George range of clothing, has helped boost annual revenue and profits at Wal-Mart....
The UK's obsession with cheap fashion from shops such as Primark, Asda and Matalan has led to a 45% growth in the value clothing market over the last five years, according to new research....
Sales at Primark were up 26% over Christmas period, the chain's owner owner Associated British Foods (ABF) said today (17 January), reflecting an increase in retail selling space and strong like-for-l...
One year after exposing what it described as "sweatshop" conditions in factories producing clothes for leading UK retailers, the charity War on Want claims workers in Bangladesh are still paid just GB...
Bargain fashion retailer Primark has doubled its trading space in the past two years, said the chairman of Associated British Foods (ABF), which owns the chain....
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022