UK: Primark maintains sales growth despite recession
UK value fashion retailer Primark has reported a 21% rise in sales in the 16 weeks to 20 June, bringing its year-to-date increase to 20%.
Parent company ABF said in an interim statement today (9 July) that Primark's growth in the third quarter reflected an increase in retail selling space and "excellent" like-for-like sales.
The figures show it is continuing to buck difficult trading conditions in UK clothing retailing.
Primark trades from 190 stores with 5.7m square feet of selling space.
During the last four months the company has opened its first stores in Germany, in Bremen, and Portugal, in Lisbon.
A new store was also opened in Barcelona in June bringing its number of stores in Spain to 13.
In a year that is likely to go down as one of the worst on record for the pan-European apparel industry, one sector continues to shine bright: value clothing. And one retailer that truly stands out he...
Marks and Spencer director Kate Bostock has stuck by the company's clothing strategy and hailed the recent launch of its Indigo brand....
Having delivered apparel and footwear industry news for the past decade, just-style takes a reflective look through its archives to highlight ten key themes that have helped shape the apparel industry...
Like just about every other business sector on the planet, retailers continued to be affected by global economic turmoil during 2009. Companies previously intent on expansion and growth turned to cost...
UK value fashion chain Primark faces more protests from a UK campaign group, and the retailer says it is "greatly concerned" about allegations of low pay at a third-party supplier in Bangladesh....
Budget fashion retailer Primark is to install the Island Pacific Planning solution to help plan across all levels of its business....
Cut-price clothing retailer Primark is plotting expansion in continental Europe after posting an 8.2% increase in full-year operating profit to GBP252m (US$411m)....
UK supermarket retailer Asda is widely reported to have replaced Marks and Spencer (M&S) as the UK's biggest fashion retailer....
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Alliance brands "staying the course" in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- Bangladesh denied US GSP re-entry on worker rights
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis