UK: Primark set for "excellent" H1 performance
Primark is set to report a 14% increase in first-half sales
Associated British Foods (ABF) saw its share price fall this morning (24 February) on lower sales in its sugar business, but hailed an "excellent" performance from its Primark value fashion chain in the first half.
In a pre-close trading update, the company said Primark is set to report a 14% increase in sales for the six months to 1 March, thanks to like-for-like sales growth of 4%, a rise in retail selling space, and stong sales in its new larger stores.
Although like-for-like sales in the first eight weeks of the financial year were held back by "unseasonably warm weather" and strong comparatives with the previous year, the rest of the period saw "excellent" trading, including Christmas.
As a result, operating profit margin is now expected to be higher than in the same period last year, benefiting from warehouse and distribution efficiencies, as well as lower freight rates.
New store openings added 8% more selling space since the last half year, with the company now operating 269 stores trading across 9.6m square feet.
During the period, Primark opened 16 new stores, including its first two in France, as well as six in Spain and three in the UK.
ABF's shares fell 2.81% to 2909p at 10:39 GMT this morning.
More than 170 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people las...
After a highly proactive start to 2013 with four new outlet openings, Primark spent the second half of 2013 consolidating on its strong position in apparel and footwear specialist retailers. The compa...
Primark in the UK remains its most important market, accounting for over 70% of the company’s overall sales. Primark has established itself as one of the fastest-growing value retailers, offering a wi...
Apparel and footwear specialist retailers in the UK recorded sluggish growth in sales in 2013 as the trading environment in non-grocery retailing across much of the UK remained challenging. As well as...
The launch of Victoria’s Secret in London’s Westfield and New Bond Street locations positively impacted underwear, nightwear and swimwear. Considering recessionary cuts on spending, underwear and nigh...
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- JC Penney emphasises new merchandising strategy
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Crystal Group nurtures its caring culture
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- Vietnam proposes 15% rise to regional minimum wage
- Cambodia garment workers “dying on the job”
- Avery Dennison forms JV with Ningbo Shenzhou
- Accord and Alliance discord over inspections
- Nike appointments to drive growth opportunities
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey