UK: Primark sues Matalan for copying trademark
Bullish value fashion chain Primark is taking flagging rival Matalan to court over a hoodie design.
Primark, which sells boys' clothing under the 'rebel' registered trademark, has accused Matalan of confusing shoppers by selling a range of boys' hoodies featuring the words 'rebel attitude'.
Primark wants Matalan to stop selling the tops and is seeking damages, while Matalan has refused to scrap the line.
The case is likely to cause even more bad morale at Matalan, which is not only struggling to reverse flagging profits but is also stuck in the middle of a fraught takeover saga.
Jeff Lancaster, Primark's head of external affairs, confirmed a report that court papers had been filed but told just-style the company couldn't comment any further.
Lancaster told just-style earlier this year that most of its trademark cases were settled out of court.
The company has been on the receiving end of a number of infringement filings.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Bangladesh had a tough year in 2006, with clothing manufacturers hit by a spate of violence, transport and power strikes, and criticism over factory conditions. Despite all this, the Bangladeshi appar...
Value retailer Primark has been no stranger to the headlines of late and, with recent estimates that it is now the UK's fourth-biggest women's wear retailer, is likely to stay in the spotlight for som...
Budget fashion chain Primark has taken on two directors to meet the demands of its aggressive expansion....
A key Bangladesh textile figure has contested claims that some of the country's garment workers are surviving on less than the minimum wage....
Bangladeshi factories used by UK retailers Primark, Tesco and Asda are paying workers just 5 pence an hour, according to a new report by charity War on Want....
In contrast to the current gloomy outlook on the high street, the men's plus-size clothing market (waist size 37" and above) is the fastest growing clothing sector in the UK according to new research....
US intimate apparel maker Hanesbrands has axed a supplier contract in Bangladesh, blaming violations of working hours and pay conditions....
The aggressively expanding Primark chain has notched up another year of strong profits and revenue growth boosted by increased store space, owner Associated British Foods (ABF) said....
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Where next for Corporate Human Rights Benchmark?
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- World Bank commits $57bn to sub-Saharan Africa
- Target unveils "ambitious" store re-design plans
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective