USA: Private Label Apparel Sales Up In A Down Market
It says that while overall apparel sales have been down for the last four years, private label increased by five per cent over the same period.
A key reason for this growth is that retailers are now using private branding, such as Mossimo at Target and Jaclyn Smith at Kmart, to increase sales of their private label merchandise.
“The industry is putting a new face on private label and that face is private brand,” said Marshal Cohen, senior industry analyst, The NPD Group.
“The biggest difference between private label and private brand is that private brand offers the ability to establish a personality behind the product, to give the consumer the ability to be more loyal and aware of the exclusivity factor.
”JC Penney is an example of a retailer that has done a great job for many years in developing ‘Arizona’ into a brand that consumers believe has its own product integrity and identity.”
Private label and private brand merchandise represent 36 per cent of the total apparel market, taking in almost $60 billion in the 12 months ending April 2003. National brands represent 34 per cent of the apparel market and designer brands account for 7 per cent.
Mass merchant retailers are posting the strongest gains in private label apparel sales, with a six per cent increase over the past three years. Annual private label sales now represent 51 per cent of total apparel sales in the mass merchant channel, up from 45 per cent in 2001.
Companies: Sears Holdings Corporation
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Wal-Mart is famous for its everyday low prices. The world's largest company continues to dramatically transform the retail landscape by exploring new growth avenues, selling new categories of merchand...
Sears Holdings' Kmart subsidiary is to axe an unspecified number of workers as it revises staff levels at its 1,400 stores, according to press reports....
Up to 150,000 employees and retirees of former retailer Kmart have been awarded US$11.75m as part of a lawsuit settlement over the investment of pension funds, Associated Press reported....
Apparel maker Lands' End's president and chief executive officer is leaving the company less than two year after she took the role on....
Cut-price footwear retailer Footstar Inc has selcted 4R Systems Inc's 4R application to help them achieve the appropriate choice of case-pack design, and quantities that provide the maximum flexibilit...
Casual apparel company Levi Strauss & Co has named John Goodman as president of the US Dockers business, effective 6 June....
Sears Holdings Corp and Latina Media Ventures, which publishes Latina magazine, have signed a deal to launch an apparel, footwear and bag collection aimed at Hispanic women....
Chief executive of US department store operator JC Penney, Myron Ullman, says the company is to turn its focus to mid-income shoppers who are forming an available market niche due to mergers among its...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report