US: Promo environment hits Cato Corp's Q4
- Q4 earnings down 52%
- Margin flat at 34.7%
- Sales fall 7%
A highly promotional holiday sales season and poor weather conditions weighed on Cato Corporation's earnings in the fourth quarter.
Net income dropped to US$3.8m, down 52% from $7.9m a year earlier in the three months ended 2 February.
Gross margin was relatively flat at 34.7% of sales as merchandise margins held in the very promotional environment.
Sales fell 7% to $215.2m, while same-store sales dropped 3% from a year earlier.
"Results for 2013 were negatively impacted by the continuing difficult economic situation our customers have faced for some time now," said CEO John Cato. "Even with the very challenging environment, we have continued to grow our store base, manage our inventory, control costs and, most importantly, remain profitable."
Cato added that results were impacted by "a very promotional holiday sales season" as well as a number of winter storms in December and January. In addition, the comparison of fourth quarter results to the prior year was negatively impacted by this fiscal having one less week than the prior year period.
Canadean's "The Cato Corporation - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major products and ...
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Where next for Walmart's 3D apparel design pilot?
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis