US: Promotions and lower margins hit Levi Strauss Q4
- Q4 net profit falls to US$17m
- Gross margin narrows to 49.2%
- Sales fall 0.2%
Levi suffered from weaker sales in Europe
Jeans giant Levi Strauss & Co said lower gross margin and higher seasonal advertising spend hit earnings in the fourth quarter.
In the three months ended 24 November, Levi posted a net profit of US$17m, down from $53m a year earlier.
Gross margin narrowed to 49.2% from 50% in the year ago period, hurt by higher price promotion and markdown activity due to a slower holiday season. The decline ended a year of margin growth for the firm driven by easing cotton costs.
Revenues dropped 0.2% to $1.29bn on the back of weaker sales in Europe, which were down 5% to $279m.
In Levi's largest market, the US, sales edged up 1% to $828m, while Asia Pacific sales climbed 2% to $188m.
"In 2014 we will continue to focus on growing the business over the long term by driving our profitable core business, addressing key opportunities to build a more balanced portfolio, and improving our retail operations, while at the same time reducing our controllable costs," said CEO Chip Bergh.
Levi Strauss & Co. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offer...
Levi Strauss & Co. - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, produc...
Fashion apparel maker Hampshire Group has signed a global sourcing deal with jeans giant Levi Strauss....
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Levi Strauss & Co. - Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides a comprehensive insight into the company’s history, corporate strategy, business structure and operations. The report contains a detailed S...
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Hanesbrands praises supply chain efficiency
- Source Summit 2014: Quote/unquote
- Wal-Mart US chief resignation little surprise
- Under Armour "bullish" in full-year guidance rise
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- Macy’s increases sustainability efforts
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges