US: Promotions and lower margins hit Levi Strauss Q4
- Q4 net profit falls to US$17m
- Gross margin narrows to 49.2%
- Sales fall 0.2%
Levi suffered from weaker sales in Europe
Jeans giant Levi Strauss & Co said lower gross margin and higher seasonal advertising spend hit earnings in the fourth quarter.
In the three months ended 24 November, Levi posted a net profit of US$17m, down from $53m a year earlier.
Gross margin narrowed to 49.2% from 50% in the year ago period, hurt by higher price promotion and markdown activity due to a slower holiday season. The decline ended a year of margin growth for the firm driven by easing cotton costs.
Revenues dropped 0.2% to $1.29bn on the back of weaker sales in Europe, which were down 5% to $279m.
In Levi's largest market, the US, sales edged up 1% to $828m, while Asia Pacific sales climbed 2% to $188m.
"In 2014 we will continue to focus on growing the business over the long term by driving our profitable core business, addressing key opportunities to build a more balanced portfolio, and improving our retail operations, while at the same time reducing our controllable costs," said CEO Chip Bergh.
Levi Strauss & Co. - SWOT Analysis company profile is the essential source for top-level company data and information. Levi Strauss & Co. - SWOT Analysis examines the company’s key business structu......
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Levi Strauss & Co. - Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides a comprehensive insight into the company’s history, corporate strategy, business structure and operations. The report contains a detailed S...
Levis Strauss France faces a difficult time in its development in France, as in addition to growing production costs, there is Increasing competition from retailers positioned in the economy segment, ...
- Myanmar - right time, right place, new challenges
- 3D printing gears up for fashion industry change
- Apparel working conditions linked to profit
- Cutting pollution saves China textile mills money
- Adidas worker hotline bridges communication gap
- China cotton imports to rise as Xinjiang cuts crop
- Crystal first China licensee of RevoLaze tech
- Thailand project to vertically integrate clothing
- Cambodia growth to slow on competition and cost
- Dick's Sporting Goods updates on strategy