US: Promotions and lower margins hit Levi Strauss Q4
- Q4 net profit falls to US$17m
- Gross margin narrows to 49.2%
- Sales fall 0.2%
Levi suffered from weaker sales in Europe
Jeans giant Levi Strauss & Co said lower gross margin and higher seasonal advertising spend hit earnings in the fourth quarter.
In the three months ended 24 November, Levi posted a net profit of US$17m, down from $53m a year earlier.
Gross margin narrowed to 49.2% from 50% in the year ago period, hurt by higher price promotion and markdown activity due to a slower holiday season. The decline ended a year of margin growth for the firm driven by easing cotton costs.
Revenues dropped 0.2% to $1.29bn on the back of weaker sales in Europe, which were down 5% to $279m.
In Levi's largest market, the US, sales edged up 1% to $828m, while Asia Pacific sales climbed 2% to $188m.
"In 2014 we will continue to focus on growing the business over the long term by driving our profitable core business, addressing key opportunities to build a more balanced portfolio, and improving our retail operations, while at the same time reducing our controllable costs," said CEO Chip Bergh.
Levis Strauss France faces a difficult time in its development in France, as in addition to growing production costs, there is Increasing competition from retailers positioned in the economy segment, ...
Introduction Womenswear in Mexico industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profi......
Introduction Womenswear in Denmark industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The prof......
Introduction Menswear in Mexico industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile......
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- Under Armour secures Germany and Austria deals
- Millennials "changing the game" for hosiery
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020