GERMANY: Puma launches eco-friendly shoe
Puma has launched an eco-friendly version of its suede shoe, which is made using 100% recycled materials.
The sportswear firm says the shoe has been designed with its "environmental impact in mind." The upper, sock liner, laces and sub-lining have been made using recycled new materials, and the outsole has been developed using an "innovative new" material.
The synthetic suede upper has been created by Toray, which uses 100% recycled polyester fibres, produced by a chemical recycling process that reduces the energy consumption and CO2 emissions by 80% compared to the production of virgin materials.
The outsole also uses Double R Rice Rubber, which replaces a portion of the rubber content with a rice husk filler, reducing the overall rubber needed and saving considerable energy in manufacturing and agricultural resources.
Puma said the new footwear is also incredibly light weight, which cuts the fossil fuels needed in transport, saving some 15 tonnes for every 10,000 pairs shipped.
Top stories on just-style this week included news that a coalition of industry groups is calling for an to end violent unrest in Cambodia, the Indian government's plans to partially roll back its cott...
Sporting goods giant Adidas expects sales growth to slow in 2012, despite the forthcoming Olympics and European Football Championships, after posting strong growth in full-year profits....
Footwear business Skechers USA is to take over its own distribution in Japan, setting up Skechers Japan as a wholly-owned subsidiary....
Factories in Bangladesh producing sportswear for Olympic sponsors Adidas, Nike and Puma have been accused of beating, verbally abusing, underpaying and overworking their staff, according to an investi...
This week's most popular stories included our interview with Epic Group CEO Ranjan Mahtani, a report on sweatshop labour being uncovered in factories producing merchandise for the Olympics, and the ap...
Guess Inc has announced the appointment of Chet Kuchinad as chief people officer and Amber Tarshis as senior vice president of marketing....
Workers in Cambodia have continued rioting following a shooting at a Puma supplier factory last week where three people were injured....
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Combating the new normal – 10 trends for 2016
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- China factory activity continues to deteriorate
- PVH to take control of Tommy Hilfiger China unit
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024