GERMANY: Puma launches eco-friendly shoe
Puma has launched an eco-friendly version of its suede shoe, which is made using 100% recycled materials.
The sportswear firm says the shoe has been designed with its "environmental impact in mind." The upper, sock liner, laces and sub-lining have been made using recycled new materials, and the outsole has been developed using an "innovative new" material.
The synthetic suede upper has been created by Toray, which uses 100% recycled polyester fibres, produced by a chemical recycling process that reduces the energy consumption and CO2 emissions by 80% compared to the production of virgin materials.
The outsole also uses Double R Rice Rubber, which replaces a portion of the rubber content with a rice husk filler, reducing the overall rubber needed and saving considerable energy in manufacturing and agricultural resources.
Puma said the new footwear is also incredibly light weight, which cuts the fossil fuels needed in transport, saving some 15 tonnes for every 10,000 pairs shipped.
Top stories on just-style this week included news that a coalition of industry groups is calling for an to end violent unrest in Cambodia, the Indian government's plans to partially roll back its cott...
Sporting goods giant Adidas expects sales growth to slow in 2012, despite the forthcoming Olympics and European Football Championships, after posting strong growth in full-year profits....
Footwear business Skechers USA is to take over its own distribution in Japan, setting up Skechers Japan as a wholly-owned subsidiary....
Factories in Bangladesh producing sportswear for Olympic sponsors Adidas, Nike and Puma have been accused of beating, verbally abusing, underpaying and overworking their staff, according to an investi...
This week's most popular stories included our interview with Epic Group CEO Ranjan Mahtani, a report on sweatshop labour being uncovered in factories producing merchandise for the Olympics, and the ap...
Guess Inc has announced the appointment of Chet Kuchinad as chief people officer and Amber Tarshis as senior vice president of marketing....
Workers in Cambodia have continued rioting following a shooting at a Puma supplier factory last week where three people were injured....
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- India's labour law reforms edge a step closer
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Ultrasonic execs disappear along with company cash
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details