US: PVH Q1 profit soars 61% on Hilfiger, Calvin Klein
- Q1 net income rose 61% to $93.1m
- Revenue increased 4% to $1.43bn
- Calvin Klein up 7%, Hilfiger up 8%
Strong global demand for its Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger brands has helped PVH Corp to a 61% surge in first quarter earnings - and prompted the New York based clothing firm to raise its full-year forecast.
The company said both brands performed above expectations despite cost pressures and economic headwinds in Europe - and are likely to continue this momentum despite the uncertain macroeconomic environment in both the US and Europe.
"We believe that the impact of the product cost increases that have negatively affected our industry will abate in the second half of 2012, which will have a positive impact on all of our businesses," noted chairman and CEO Emanuel Chirico.
He added: "We are excited about the continued execution of our growth strategies for our brands, particularly Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger, as we expand our global footprint." The company said its new Tommy Hilfiger joint ventures in India and China "performed very well during the first quarter."
During the three months to 29 April, net income rose to $93.1m or $1.27 per share, up from $57.7m or $0.79 per share, in the same quarter last year.
Revenue, meanwhile, increased 4% to $1.43bn from $1.37bn. The Calvin Klein business saw its revenues rise 7% to $262.1m, with weakness in Europe offset by gains in North America, South America and Asia.
At Tommy Hilfiger, revenues were up 8% to $770.4m, helped by higher selling prices and same-store sales growth in North America and Europe.
"As we head into the second quarter, we are optimistic that the strength of our brands and the sound execution of our business strategies, along with our strong balance sheet, will continue to drive long-term growth and improvements in our financial metrics and business returns in 2012 and beyond," Chirico said.
Looking ahead, PVH expects full-year earnings per share in the range of $6.15 to $6.25, an increase of 14% to 16% over the prior year's $5.38, with sales increasing by 1% to 2%.
In the second quarter, earnings are seen rising 10-12% over the previous year to between $1.18 and $1.20, with revenues staying flat.
Collaboration, speed to market and building the 'Made in Sri Lanka' brand emerged as key themes at this year's South Asian Apparel Leadership Forum, held as part of last week's Sri Lanka Design Festiv...
PVH's acquisition of Warnaco will have the obvious benefit of uniting the Calvin Klein brand, but PVH chairman and CEO Emanuel Chirico also emphasised the potential to leverage Warnaco's strong platfo...
Twenty leading fashion brands are selling clothing contaminated with chemicals with hormone-disrupting or cancer-causing properties when released into the environment, according to Greenpeace Internat...
Lululemon Athletica has reached an agreement with Calvin Klein and its licensee G-III Apparel Group to resolve a lawsuit relating to yoga pant designs. ...
Premium lifestyle brand Tommy Hilfiger is joining forces with Brazil-based Inbrands to distribute its products in the country....
Opportunities to source textiles, apparel and footwear from Africa are the focus of a special event taking place in Cape Town next year, which brings together producers from more than a dozen sub-Saha...
Apparel business Warnaco - about to be snapped up by PVH in a US$2.9bn deal - posted lower earnings and revenues during the company's third quarter ending 29 September....
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015