US: PVH Q1 profit surges on new acquisitions
- Underlying net income up 59% to US$155.6m
- Revenue up 36% to $1.94bn
- Warnaco, Tommy Hilfiger principal growth drivers
The US company said the former Warnaco business was responsible for $487m of the near-$2bn revenue registered in the three months to 5 May, with Tommy Hilfiger contributing a further $41m.
Calvin Klein revenues were $638m, up from $262m last year thanks to strong performances from the brand’s jeans and underwear businesses in China and Brazil, which were previously handled by Warnaco.
North America retail comparable store sales for Calvin Klein were up 4%, but international comps fell 5%.
Tommy Hilfiger revenues rose 5% to $811m, driven by a 14% revenue increase in North America, where comps were up 5%, offset by flat sales from the brand’s international business.
PVH’s Heritage Brands posted 24% revenue growth to $491m, of which $126m was supplied by Warnaco’s Speedo swimwear and its Warner’s and Olga women’s intimate apparel businesses.
“Our results demonstrated the strength of the Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger businesses, which both continue to exhibit strong global growth, despite the macro-environment and unseasonably cold weather that negatively impacted sales of spring product in North America and Europe,” said Emanuel Chirico, PVH chairman and CEO.
“We were also pleased to see the strong operating improvements in our pre-existing Heritage Brands wholesale business, primarily in the sportswear division, and believe the Speedo, Warner’s and Olga brands are proving to be strategic complements to our pre-existing Heritage Brands portfolio.”
PVH maintained its full-year guidance of revenues of $8.2bn and underlying earnings per share of $7.00.
More than 220 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people in ...
PVH Corp says it is on track with the integration of the Warnaco business it bought earlier this year, despite the fact acquisition costs pushed the apparel giant to a second-quarter loss....
US clothing giant Kellwood Company has promoted Lynn Shanahan to the role of CEO. ...
G-III Apparel Group has today (4 December) lifted its full-year earnings guidance after reporting a 23% increase in third-quarter net profit, helped by higher sales....
A fire that gutted two buildings at one of the largest garment manufacturers in Bangladesh has been blamed on an arson attack - with apparel makers urging the government to catch the culprits within a...
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Alliance cuts ties with three more factories
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)