US: Q1 profit drop of 47% within Limited Brands’ guidance
Limited Brands on Wednesday (23 May) reported reduced first quarter profits that fell within the lower guidance it had provided last week.
However, the Columbus, Ohio-based specialty store firm, which is in the process of reducing its apparel assets, said that its May same-store sales would decline in the low-single digits, versus an earlier projection of a gain of the same magnitude.
In the 13 weeks ended 5 May, net income contracted 46.7% to US$52.9m, or $0.13 a diluted share, from $99.4m, or $0.25, in the year-ago quarter.
The EPS result fell in the middle of guidance of $0.12 to $0.14 provided by the company on 15 May, when it reported that it had agreed to sell a majority stake in its Express unit and was seeking alternatives for its Limited Stores division.
Sales picked up 11.3% to $2.31bn from $2.08bn in the 2006 quarter. Same-store sales were up 4%.
Weakness at the Victoria's Secret division contributed to a reduction in gross margin to 34.8% of sales from 38% a year ago.
The firm, which earlier completed a $200m share repurchase programme, has authorised the repurchase of up to $500m in additional shares.
"Over the last five years, we have returned more than $5bn in value to shareholders," said Leslie Wexner, chairman and CEO of the company.
"Subsequent to our announcement last week of the sale of a majority interest in Express and our intent to explore strategic options for Limited Stores, this latest share repurchase programme reflects our confidence in the strength and future growth of our intimate apparel and personal care and beauty brands."
Limited Brands also operates Bath & Body Works, La Sense, White Barn Candle and Henri Bendel, among other nameplates.
By Arnold J Karr.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' October 2007 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' September 2007 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
Victoria's Secret operator Limited Brands has reported third quarter net income of US$12.1m, 48.5% lower than the comparable period last year, partially attributed to a challenging retail environment....
The Finish Line has appointed Lou Spagna as president of its Man Alive chain of retail stores....
Outdoor gear retailer Eddie Bauer Holdings has appointed three new executives to operational positions in its senior management team....
A project to switch nearly one-third of its inbound freight from truck to rail has helped Limited Brands win an Environmental Excellence Award from the US Environmental Protection Agency SmartWay Tran...
Six top US apparel brands that buy blue jeans from Mexican jeans manufacturer Grupo Navarra are calling for a free choice of union for workers at the company's factory in Tehuacan, Mexico....
Limited Brands' lingerie subsidiary Victoria's Secret will be the first US retailer to sell the forthcoming Spice Girls greatest hits album, in a bid to lure fans of the 'girl power' pop group....
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts